El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, just seeing if anyone has any tips. I want to freshen basically all of my suspension with all new parts within budget.
Any idea of certain parts that you love that I should buy as well?
I want to lower overall about two inches, and I want it to be much stiffer. Any help would be much appreciated. I am doing a much postponed complete overhaul of my 1976 el camino classic this summer and I am going to post a complete build and gallery of my progress as I make progress this summer. I have a 454 with a turbo 400 trans that is going to be rebuilt as well as side pipes and new floor pans all around, so stay tuned! Literally, keep those Holley carbs tuned.:nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
Hey, Jake. I got my lowering springs from the El Camino store approx 3 yrs ago. Last I checked they did not have them any more. Besides that, they are not stiff anyway! Check with performance vendors such as Hotchkis, Global West, or have your own made. Be prepared to spend some extra cash here!

If you truly want a modern suspension overhaul, you will want to look at said vendors for upper and lower control arms as well. These have fixed the poor geometry of 40 years ago and will allow your truck to rotate through the corners.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey fellas, so i bought Moog bigblock springs, front and rear, its 1.5 in drop in the rear and 2 in drop in the front. i also bought Monroe sensa-track shock absorbers. my next move is to get upper and lower control arms, if any body has some 4th gen lower control arms priced reasonably, i'll be all over those. i just cleaned out my garage and got my el camino inside. Gonna be building a rotisserie and taking the body off to repair the floor pans and sandblast my frame and coat it. any tips on this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't installed them yet. I just got them in today. Studying for engineering school finals this week, so I'm not gonna be able to get much done for a few days. But I'll get to looking and see if I can find the numbers for ya. I got all the interior ordered and the only thing left to do on the body is install my new floorpans(should be in in a week or so) and get some dents out of the tailgate. After that, I'm gonna reassemble the 454 I have on my engine stand and rebuild my turbo 400 trans. Gonna post pics in the next couple days. Stay tuned :nanawrench:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts