El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm in Australia so having some problems and could really use some help, so I don't end up buying and shipping the wrong drums.

It's a stock 1977 El Camino SS, and from various sources I'm being told that there's 11 and 12 inch diameter brakes, and 3.5 and 4.5 inch high drums, with no way of knowing without measuring on the car (which I'm yet to do, but I will).

In my search, I'm also seeing some odd gaps, such as the listings go through to 1975, then 76/77, then 78-85, which seems to suggest there's something unique about 76 and 77.

Other thing is, I don't know the full background on the car so who knows what might've happened in its past.

So, any suggestions on how to make sure I'm getting the right drums, shoes and cylinders first go around is much appreciated!

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you take your wheel off, stamped into the brake drum will be the maximum diameter to which it could safely be turned. My 77 has these Delco drums on it. They are 11" and fully finned. ACDELCO 18B28. There is also a a partially finned 11" brake drum ACDELCO 18B8 . There is quite a bit of visual difference. You can find them on Rock Auto if you would like to see pictures of them. The other size is a 9 1/2" brake it was common on the earlier (73-75) years and also on the 78 and up.

Regards Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you take your wheel off, stamped into the brake drum will be the maximum diameter to which it could safely be turned. My 77 has these Delco drums on it. They are 11" and fully finned. ACDELCO 18B28. There is also a a partially finned 11" brake drum ACDELCO 18B8 . There is quite a bit of visual difference. You can find them on Rock Auto if you would like to see pictures of them. The other size is a 9 1/2" brake it was common on the earlier (73-75) years and also on the 78 and up.

Regards Brian
Hi there and thanks. They're finned all the way around and definitely 11 or more inches (not 9), so that's good info. Won't be able to crack them off until the weekend and then will check the numbers. What about the different heights? Have you ever heard anything about that?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Measure the width of a brake shoe.
The drums will be listed something like 11 X 2, or 10 X 2.5. Whatever it is.
In other words: the inside diameter of the drum and the width of the shoes.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
looks like the biggest difference in the 2-Delco and 2-Raybsts..
is the back outside diameter 13" vs 14" ,,the bigger having more/ larger fins..
all 11" brakes, nether list the width..
pic spec link> Rockauto

the smaller cheaper drums are listed as 11" X 2.43" brake surface,,
and bigger ones not listed..

shoes are listed as 11"x 2.120"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Measure the width of a brake shoe.
The drums will be listed something like 11 X 2, or 10 X 2.5. Whatever it is.
In other words: the inside diameter of the drum and the width of the shoes.
Thanks sir, will do that when I crack them off at the weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all.

I'm in Australia so having some problems and could really use some help, so I don't end up buying and shipping the wrong drums.

It's a stock 1977 El Camino SS, and from various sources I'm being told that there's 11 and 12 inch diameter brakes, and 3.5 and 4.5 inch high drums, with no way of knowing without measuring on the car (which I'm yet to do, but I will).

In my search, I'm also seeing some odd gaps, such as the listings go through to 1975, then 76/77, then 78-85, which seems to suggest there's something unique about 76 and 77.

Other thing is, I don't know the full background on the car so who knows what might've happened in its past.

So, any suggestions on how to make sure I'm getting the right drums, shoes and cylinders first go around is much appreciated!
Hi I’m an Aussie as well and have needed brake parts before and have found rotors (dimpled and slotted) as well as drums from Empowered Auto Parts in Logan Qld they have an Ebay store or you can ring them directly they carry RDA rotors and drums and EBA pads and shoes and are priced really good and I don’t buy anything else so give them a call and I’m sure they’ll be able to help you out.
Cheers Brad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the assist. I ended up getting the lot from Rock Auto. They were great. Be putting them on this weekend.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi I’m an Aussie as well and have needed brake parts before and have found rotors (dimpled and slotted) as well as drums from Empowered Auto Parts in Logan Qld they have an Ebay store or you can ring them directly they carry RDA rotors and drums and EBA pads and shoes and are priced really good and I don’t buy anything else so give them a call and I’m sure they’ll be able to help you out.
Cheers Brad
Hi mate. I ended up getting the rears from Rock Auto in the US. Top service, all the parts and came real quick. I made some enquiries around here and couldn't find anyone who had them or met Rock's price. BTW I bought the fronts from Empowered last July and hadn't put them on yet, so they'll be going on too. Bought the Hooker Headers from them too when I put the 454 in. They're a great bunch but they couldn't help with the rears on mine (weird stuff happened 73-77 with these cars...)

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
72-73 GM was converting body style and from the 8.2 rear to the 8.5..
the early 3rd gens could get a SBC or BBC so 8.5 or 8.875..
77-78 another body style change, and they were goin to the 7.5 rear..
it think the confusion comes from the parts books just covering it both ways..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts