Vintage Air Ac
Stock 350 with edlebrock intake, 650 carb
headers to 3" exhaust

Running hot and dont know why

:texas:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just a thought, make sure your hoses aren't collapsing when running. Also Welcome, Post pic's when you can :texas:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well first of welcome to ecc lots of knowledgeable people on here i wont claim to be a expert on anything lol. But I know them new thermostats are bad about not opening ive experienced this almost burnt my motor up could be faulty gauge that's a pretty common one i hear or your bottom radiator hose could be missing the spring thing that keeps it from kinking under pressure and that's all i can think of good luck.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
check your timing if its to far retarded it will run hot:beer:
Hey Woody, I think now days you need to say " if you engine is timing challenged". You know, the whole PC thing.. you're welcome:secret: you may want to buy or borrow a mechanical temp gauge if you don't have one. Is wwater circulating? If you've added water lately, you may have an air pocket in the intake. That would cause that one area to overheat. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with my '81. I have a 400 similar to your 350. I replaced the radiator because of a leak, and a new thermostat. Still ran hot. It turned out it was my fan clutch. It seemed ok, but when I replaced it, all was fine. Check your timing. Also, check for air leaks on the intake. Use a spray bottle of water, and spray the joints around the intake, including the carb. If there is a vacuum leak, the motor will change speeds when you plug the leak with water. I used an infra-red themometer from Home Dopot to check actual engine temps. Your guage or sensor chould be bad. Robert in Austin

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
A 160 thermostat may not be letting the coolant sit in the radiator long enough to cool.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
listen to your fan clutch does it roar when cold first start ? if not its worn. dont buy a cheap fan clutch, buy the hd/severe duty fan clutch that is whats factory on our cars .those cheap thin ones wont kool our cars right in the hot season. when its hot spray the radiator with a hose if it cools right down as soon as you spray it the fan isnt doing its job.the 160 thermo want hurt during the summer.verify that it is actually hot as well.the easiest wat to tell if your fan is working is listen to it. it should roar when you first start it and any time its over 230. they have a sensing spring in the front to turn them on and off. at 2500 rpm you should hear it come and go as it heats up and cools down. if not its time for a new one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts