El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thread on this site, new to this forum.

I have a 1978 SS with factory 14x7 rally wheels. I want to stay with these wheels till the money tree in my back yard grows a little more.

What do you'al recommend on tires?

I was thinking BFG radial TA's

215x60x14 front
235x60x14 rear

Will this look and perform great? or do you'al recommend a different configuration??

thanks

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Brian, welcome from So. Texas:texas:. I was raised in Lewisville back in the 60's & 70's. My 1st girlfriend lived in highland Village. I used to jump off of the RailRoad tressle on I-35 into Lewisville Lake. Anywho.. I like the tire sizes you've chosen. It should give the car a good rake. BFG's always look good but they have never lasted me very long. I put alot of miles on my car and the best ones ive had so far are Hankooks. The set i have on now have 40k miles and the look new still. It just depends on how you drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sir,

all those areas I know very well, and the bridge I have jumped it to.. small world

will the 245/60/14 fit on the rear or is it to large?

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
BFG's are a good looking tire...If I have the choice, that's whats on my rides...

·
Registered
230 Posts
14s

BFGs are rated at I think 115mph also have have are rated at I think 30,000 miles also if it maters that is what everone runs because 14s are hard to come by Cooper cobras are rate at I think 160mph and 40,000 miles I may be off on these numbers but I am very close coopers do have larger letters. Just a little info . I searched hard for rwl tires these where the two avalible.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had issues with the 245/60 BFG's causing wicked wheel hop on the back of my Elco. Swapped over to BFG drag radials and no wheels hop. They seem to be a tire that's on the harder side

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had issues with the 245/60 BFG's causing wicked wheel hop on the back of my Elco. Swapped over to BFG drag radials and no wheels hop. They seem to be a tire that's on the harder side
how long have the drag radials lasted?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had 235/60/14 on the front and 245/60/14 rear on my 84. They fit fine but I thought they looked a little short and small for the vehicle. I moved the 245/60/14's to the front and put 255/60/15 on the rear which gives it a nice old hot rod look. With my old school slot mags 245's fit the front with only an occasional rub at full lock going over a bump or something. My slot mags are 3.5 BS.
RTT

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So heres my question,

will 245/60/14 BFG radials fit on the rear of a 78 SS Elco with 14x7 rally wheels?

If they do fit well I will order:

225/60/14 front
245/60/14 rear

please provide all thoughts, debating now with cash in hand and its burning a huge hole in my wallet.

I will have a sbc 350-355 horse crate motor and 12 bolt 411 possi with a sag 4 speed all installed by the end of next week

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
I was told by my tire man that Michelin is making the BF goodrich tires now !
If you bought some years ago & Went to buy some new ones, That they do cost a lot more now because michelin is making them & They are made better !

·
Registered
146 Posts
didn't know Discount tire would 'test' fit, i may have a new weekend adventure now!:nanawrench:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The problem with the Discount Tire ( TEST ) is that the 14" tires that I will be ORDERING from Discount Tire will be special ordered and not carried in stock. 3-5 days on delivery. So I am stuck with what I order.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts