El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased this elco and it has a Edelbrock 600 cfm on Edlebrock manifold. It starts right up and runs fine for about 10 minutes and then stumples and stalls. It won't restart for about 5 minutes and then runs O.K. for another 5 minutes or so and then craps out again. Where to start- I hate to pull apart the carb if it's not necessary. It doesn't have any gas smell after it stalls so it sounds like it isn't getting gas. Maybe the fuel pump? Everything looks new. (Carb and fuel pump and all lines) Any thoughts? Herb

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1978 elco

The fuel filter looks new but I think that i will get a new one anyway. I did try the gas cap removal but there was no vacuum buildup. Tomorrow I will get a new fuel filter and see if that helps. Herb

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Pull the gas line at the filter and stick in an empty can and crank the engine. Observe fuel flow. Strong? Weak? None?

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
sounds like the fuel system is sucking air,,,, replace the fuel lines on top of the tank, should be easy to get to, they dry rot and crack and really give you a run for ya money in chasing them down, ask me how i know this????:beer:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1978 Elco

The whole problem turned out to be the fuel filter. Yippee! Easy fix for a change.Runs like a bear now. I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure out how. Thanks for all the help, guys. Herb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts