El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find some threads on this but ... so I apolize up front if this is redundant ...

So how crazy am I to consider swapping out my Automatic Transmission for a 4-speed ... the AT needs rebuilt now so I am thinking of using that $$ to get started on the 4 speed changeout ... please share your advise and comments ... thank you :neutral:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sorry, I haven't done it personally but here's a few things to consider. Clutch linkage availability might answer your question before you start. You will need to replace the flexplate for a flywheel. Check the number of teeth on each, as your current starter might not work. Shifter placement will likely require bucket seats. It's doable, but the devil is in the details.

·
Registered
125 Posts
just do a search for auto to manual conversion...should come up with some good threads

this is very doable. its not for everybody though, you will have to have some pretty good wrenching knowledge. if you want to go with a stock setup the most important thing is finding the correct bellhousing and clutch fork. you can buy all of the other parts over the counter....these guys have a kit with the pedals, z bar, etc.'

http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/items/DM90800.htm

or you could go with a master cylinder/hydraulic throwout bearing set up. this will give you a more "leg friendly" clutch feel.

here is a link to a fella who did the conversion on another g-body(monte carlo).

http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/

there is a lot of good knowledge on this site, just try different searches on the topic.

·
Registered
591 Posts
when i did my 85 had the option of using the four speed i had but i wanted a five speed as far as linkage i decided to go hydraulic bought an f-body trans off flea bay also sourced the flywheel and clutch and pressure plate from same modified clutch pedals from an f- body you can source mechanical linkage just search CL or EBY most of my friends have or are converting our G-Bodies over to man pedals lol if i can be of more help post back i will respond

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your feedback ... it seems this project may not be a slam dunk, but doable ... I am excited and I am glad that you didnt reply with - That would be stupid! - so, I'll take your advice and continue looking into the details ... thanks

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Its not stupid, buy the pedal and Z-bar kit from muscle cars only on eBay. Alot of people say you need a g-body bellhousing buy I just used a 70's Corvette, worked perfect. I have the g-body fork if you want it BC I have since changed over to hydraulic. My muncie bolted it with stock crossmember. For a factory appearance I would do a little searching and find a factory 3 speed floor and weld it in wherebyou cutbtje hole. Its an easy swap seeing That these cars did come with 4 speeds, even if it was a very limited run

·
Registered
98 Posts
Crazy? I'm doing it too! Check out my thread, 4 Speed Swap-in, to hopefully save you some time buying the right parts. Let me know if you have any questions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts