El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought as project. mostly needs cab work. Trying to decode VIN 1w8078z409709. The 5th digit is suppose to the engine size but there is nothing what a VIN with the 5th digit as a "7" is suppose to be. Air cleaner decal says 350 but trying to verify. Any help out there. Thanks

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
VIN Format: 1972-1980 GM

Decoding: 1W8078Z409709

DigitUsageVINDecoded
1Mfgr1Chevrolet
2ModelWEl Camino
3-4Body802 door sedan pickup
5Engine7Unknown!
6Year81978
7PlantZFremont CA
8-13Sequential Serial #409709409709

I'm sure this is what you are talking about. I ran that # and got everything but the engine size. Hopefully someone here has a clue. I've never come up with unknown! I also ran it through with easily confused # like 7=2 or Z? and just about every other possibility. Hopefully someone here has a clue, I'm out of ideas! Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe, thank you for your input. I have double chkd and triple chkd the VIN and even the title shows a 7 as the 5th digit. Tomorrow I will check other places where the VIN might be stamped. Yes, maybe is could be a 2 but there is no 5th digit with a 2 on it and I do not see any engine size posted with a 5th digit as a "Z". This all started when I went and bought a power steering pump for it. The mounting bracket would not fit on the new one. Autoxone then got me another one from other company. That still didn't work. So clerk did some researched and he ordered a pump form a 1980 305 El Camino. That pump was the right one and matches the original one. So go figure. Need some more Gumshoe work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Did some light cleaning of the VIN tag, OK, so the 5th digit s a "U". 305 c.i. So the title is wrong. Not to sure how to get that changed. Anyway, the previous, previous owners went out their way to decal as much as they could to make it look like a 350. I think all 350 came out with a Rochester 4 barrel. This 305 has a 2 barrel. Well, for 2k, this smooth riding ELCO was a good buy either way. Hey, a big thanks to all of you. great bunch of guys. Will post foto's later.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,456 Posts
My 84 had the wrong VIN on the title, it was just a typo at the DMV, Just get with them & see how they want to fix it,
I just had to take a pic of the VIN & they fix it, Your DMV might have a person come out & look at it ?
The "U" code on the VIN is for a 305 with a 2 B Carb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts