El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever heard about the 1979 GMC Diablo del Calle prototype sports truck? It was highlighted in the July 1979 edition of Motor Trend magazine in a duel with an L-82 Corvette. Unfortunatly, the Diablo del Calle never made it into production.

I wonder whatever happened to the prototype?

:mrgreen:

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Ernie,
Didn't see the original article, but here's a pic of the magazine issue:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wonder whatever happened to the prototype?
I'm not sure what happened to that perticular one,however,GM is real careful with what they do with thier prototypes. From what I read about the subject,it's a legal thing. In general this is what they do.
  • With high dollar one of a kind prototypes,they usually hold onto them at several storage facilities.
  • In the early 80's they cleaned out alot of thier storage facilities and sent a fair share of prototypes to the crusher cause they were no longer useful :cry:
  • A few prototypes made it into the hands of collectors.
    The way that happened was by a few means. A few were,shall we say allocated, by heads of divisions for thier own collection. Then later sold. I've also read where there was instances of GM employees sneaking them out of storage. I've also read where the person(s) responsible for crushing them let a few examples not get crushed and holding onto them.
  • The prototypes that were more of a reengineering of a paticular model(like the Diablo del Calle)could have face a number of differant fates. It could have been crushed. Or all of it's prototype equipment removed and repainted then sold to an employee. Or placed in thier test mule program where they fit preproduction equipment on the car,then beat the hell out of it to see if the equipment works.
From what I've read from a number of differant sources,GM has a hell of alot of vehicles just wasting away in storage.

·
Registered
481 Posts
What exactly was the Diablo del Calle? Must have been something special if they were putting against a vette.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Damn I didn't get to read the whole article cause the data transfer has been exceeded. However,it recall the quarter mile times were something like 17 seconds at 70 some miles an hour. That's horrible!!

Anyway,it said the Herb Adams fitted it with sway bars and stuff. I know he attends quite a few of the bigger Pontiac shows and does Q&A with participants. I bet he'd be the one to ask where it ended up.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
As I read through the article I had to laugh. 225 Hp ratings on the Corvette and the "8 Track" in dash. :lol:

Now the suspension stuff, that is still a good idea. Interesting truck. It seems people are fascinated with putting trucks against Corvettes. Hot Rod or someone like that put a Ford F150 Sport Truck against an 2001 (I think) Vette. I think in 90 someone did a pair up of the SS454 Silverado and the Vette.

I think had they put the same gears in the Elky as the Vette the 1/4 times would have been much closer. It is also interesting to note that the Elky / Diablo with the modification was only about 100 Lbs different in weight, if I read that correctly. I wonder how big of a difference in weight distribution it is to add a Bed Cover (Hard) they have to add about 150 to 200 Lbs?

Adding a Hard cover and moving the spare and Battery over the rear axel should even the distribution and add more grip in the process without adding any extra weight, other than the cover. Add to that the correct rear deck spoiler you could have a pretty sticky Elky. Don't ya think?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hate it when they mention the crusher!
GM does that kinda stuff all the time. I got one for you. A few years back when I worked for Buick,there was a BRAND FREAKIN' NEW(at the time)'96 Supercharged Riviera. It was sitting on a dealers lot and mice got into it. The mice had chewed 2 wires and left thier dropings on the floor. Nothing major though. It could have easily been cleaned up. The dealer put in a claim and some GM reps went to look at it. They decided that it would be better for them to destroy the car then have it sold then later be sued due to possible sickness caused by the droppings! And when I say droppings I mean approx 10-15 very small pellets! It was taken to a local scrap yard and crushed completly,engine,interior and all. It made me sick to my stomach. I even tried to buy it from them before it happened but they absolutely refused to sell it even if I signed a wavier.

Anytime a car falls off a transporter or has it's roof badly dented during transportation(via going under a low bridge,ect.),the truck driver gets fired on the spot and the car either gets donated to a tech school for a year then crushed or just crushed all together.

GM(and I imagine most car manufacturers)just don't want to pay out huge lawsuit settlements. The way they see it is crushing a $9000 or $35,000 or whatever priced car is much more cost effective then paying out a million.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a copy of the July 1979 motor trend magazine. I will bring it with me to Gainsville on May 11. Don't know anything about production of the car

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,609 Posts
Gene , Great to hear you plan on joining us for the May 11 Gainesville Get Together and 1/4 mile run . If you would , please post on the forum in Region 6 , Fl as Steve is getting a head count for the dinner and day at the track . I think others would enjoy seeing that 1979 article .

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
I was at the B-J Auction in Scottsdale a couple years ago and they were auctioning off vehicles that were GM prototypes. They all had salvage titles with a disclaimer that they weren't for street use or something like that.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Was this essentially a paintjob, like so many "performance" models of the day? a 17 sec 1/4 mile time cant be far from a normal elco of that vintage, and would be almost 2 seconds off the corvettes time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts