El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 79' Elco and am new to the game. I need to replace my current header panel. But when I look for parts online, I can only find the header panel from a 82'-87'. My question is, does the header panel from 82'-87' fit a 1979?

EX:
http://www.familycar.com/store/Ntt=chevrolet+el camino+header+panel&oes=true
http://www.honestcharley.com/header-panel-elc-mal-82-87.html

I have contacted multiple companies (i.e OPGI, Family Parts Group, and El Camino Store, and others). But no one seems to give me a straight answer. Please help! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
The 79 uses two headlights, The 82 - 87 uses 4 and a couple of other small differences. they will "fit" but require some other changes.
Send elkybuick a PM. I think he has an extra 79 header.
They are fiberglass so very repairable if not totally destroyed.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
78 & 79 are the same from el camino, caballero, and malibu

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Welcome from Florida !! :florida: Got some pics ??

·
Registered
358 Posts
Welcome 1st.,...

Welcome firstly,.. glad to have you. Your question; no '78 & '79 are inclusive and '82 model Header Panel will not fit. Tell these guys you cannot use an 82-87, and to check the supplies specifically for your car year. - George

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If you do decide to go with an 82-87 updated four headlight. Style i have one in great. Cond,along with new"still in bubblewrap" front" brute work"(grill,and headlight bezels) headlights,headlight trim squares,and all mounting material included.pm me if interested.i also ship through. Greyhound and it is quite reasonable.i can do everything mentioned above for 275.00 shipped.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
If the 82 & up header is bare you'll new 4 headlights and buckets, 8 adjusting screws, 4 hold down springs, 2 signal lamps, 2 headlight doors, a grille, and screws and plastic retainers for the screws to hold the grille and headlight doors. You'll also need to rewire the headlights, so you'll need two 2 prong headlight plugs.
Other than that, not a big deal. You may need to file out the mounting holes to the fenders to get a better fit, but you might need to do that with a 78-79 header panel too depending on if it has been previously repaired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts