El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im in the process of re-restoring a 1980 Elky. It was my fathers and then mine now my 15 year old son and I am rebuilding it for the 3rd generation.. It has been sitting for about 6 years. I had the engine rebuilt and the trans also. It is a 231 v-6 with a 3 speed transmission on the floor. (very rare im told) I would like suggestions for brake, interior,ect. I would like to put headers and a new exhaust system on it. Bold on preferably. The hinges on the driver side door are shot also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
New to ECC aren't we? Welcome, if you read a lot of the past forums, some of those very questions can be answered (exhaust systems). Where to get parts (ECC links page is a good start). Interior would depend on what your looking for, what you need, or what you would like to do. Is it a three speed auto or manual trans with the shifter on the floor? Although some members don't care for buying parts off Ebay, I have had good luck. I purchased a complete set of hinges for about $16 plus shipping, and then bought a hinge pin/bushing set for less then $20 also off Ebay. Headers can be purchased through suppliers such as Summit or Jegs among others...check first to see if they offer ECC members a discount (usually 10%). Hope this info helps you to get some ideas and to get started at what you want to accomplish.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
jrat55 Welcome to ECC. I hope you always feel free to ask your questions here. That's the way all of us learn. Like theelcaminofactory said ebay can be a good source if your carefull. If you get carried away you can windup spending more for a used part then a new one. Sometimes it comical how much used (or even new) parts go for on there. In my restoration I've got parts from many of the suppliers on the vendors list and have so far had good experiences with them. http://elcaminocentral.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links

For brakes are going to keep the stock wheels or are you looking at going with a larger wheel? If you go larger it really opens up the door for better brakes. For the drivers door there are hinge rebuild kits that you can get from the different venders on the list. On the headers, are there emission requirements that you have to worry about? Or do you even care about that? A few on here have looked the other way on that. I'm not saying who :oops: but don't look too close at my engine. :p Whatever you do on headers you might want to look at getting a set that are ceramic coated or get that done after you receive them. Helps to keep them from rusting and pull heat away from the engine bay.

·
Banned
881 Posts
jrat55 said:
It is a 231 v-6 with a 3 speed transmission on the floor. (very rare im told)
Welcome to ECC jrat55!

Are you sure it's a 231ci and not the 229ci? In 1980 the 231ci (LD5) was the California engine and was only available with the automatic transmission. The 229ci (LC3) was the base engine everywhere else and came with the three speed manual (MM3) as the standard power team. The 229 is the Chevy engine and has the distributor behind the carburetor. The 231 is the Buick engine and the distributor is in front of the carburetor.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of the responses. Yes it is a 229. It is a 3 speed manual transmission on the floor.Any special instructions for taking the exhaust manifolds off. (dont want to break off a bolt.) The body is in great shape so there is little body work to do. So basically interior work, brakes, and maybe a little front suspension work. Thanks again, and I will get info off other forums. :D :D :D

·
Banned
881 Posts
jrat55 said:
Any special instructions for taking the exhaust manifolds off. (dont want to break off a bolt.)
If it's been sitting for six years you may have a problem with the heads of the bolts rusting away. I don't think you'll break an exhaust manifold bolt, but you may round off the heads of a few. If this happens to me I just take out my handy-dandy acetylene torch and cut off the head. After you slide the manifold off what's left of the bolt, it should unscrew with your fingertips.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help!!! I have looked everywhere and been to Pep Boys and other places and they tell me there are no headers made for my Elky. ITs a 229 V-6 with a manual 3 speed transmission on the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find these. Thanks :D

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
jrat55 said:
Help!!! I have looked everywhere and been to Pep Boys and other places and they tell me there are no headers made for my Elky. ITs a 229 V-6 with a manual 3 speed transmission on the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find these. Thanks :D
There maybe a chance that headers for a 2wd 4.3 S-10 truck might be interchangable. I think it's a neat idea to keep the V-6 and throw some bolt-on at it 8) I drove a 229/3-spd Elky a few years ago, I was really surprised by how well the get-up-and-go was. I was fun to drive a manual Elky 8) GM Perf. parts has 4bbl intakes for the 90* V6 too, somthing to think about :mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ill try that. That old Elky really is peppy when it is running right. Whats really neat about it is when you drive it in snow. You can hardly get stuck. You can just rock from rev to first and get out of most anything. Thanks again. It is running pretty rough at idle.(understandable) Should I take the carb off and replace it or rebuild? Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Door hinge pins can be aquired from most of the local Auto Parts places. Hinge pins are generally in a kit with two pins and several different bushings in case the hinges have worn so badly that they have elongated the holes. It takes two people to lift those doors, I think three for 4th gens (Just kidding).

Time to look for rust along the bottom and frame near the back wheels and at the body mounts in the rear.

I think, not that it matters what I think but..., that it is great that you have an Elky that was bought by the family and has been passed down through three generations of drivers. To me that is a valuable heritage and makes the Elky worth more, to me if I was buying.

Welcome to El Camino Central because.. Intresting people DO drive intresting Cars! The El Camino is a most intresting vehicle. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We finally got the drivers side door back on. Extremely heavy. Thanks for the advise. Now that we got it started, it seems to run good but idles very rough. Any suggestions on the carb. Rebuild or replace. Also we put a new power boost on the brakes. We have gone around 2 times bleeding the brakes but the pedal still seems to go to the floor with the engine running. Thanks again :) :) :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, We will replace that and see if it helps. I dont think those are too expensive. :x Do you have any ideas on the carb. rebuild or replace? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 79 el camino. I had a 2bbl quadrajet on the engine. I went to a 600 cfm edelbrock, and it runs great(granted if you have all the things edelbrock says to have for it).

Im selling my elky for 1500 bucks.

Robert

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to ECC. If you don't mind a suggestion from someone who just went through this with his son on a similar car (1981, 229 V6, 3 speed on the floor), consider upgrading the steering and suspension. Of all the work we did on my son's car, swapping the steering box and upgrading the suspension made the largest safety improvement in my opinion. I'm sure you're a lot like I was in that I wanted to make the car as safe as I could for him. A new driver has enough to worry about, they shouldn't have to worry about the safety of the car also. Replacing the front sway bar with a larger one, adding one to the rear along with air bags in the rear springs should help stiffen up the suspension. Replacing the steering box with one from a early 90's IROC/Trans AM box gave the car a tighter more modern and safer feel to the steering. We did a lot of other
improvements to the suspension including replacing ALL the bushings, replacing ALL the steering components along with new springs and new shocks on all 4 corners but you may not want to go to that expense. Also we replaced most of the brake components, lines, hoses, shoes and pads, master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Just a thought.... All in all the cost of what we did was cheap for the peace of mind you will receive knowing you made the safest car you could.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts