El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:I goofed about 6 months ago and popped the hood, without cracking my windshield. Where is the best place to purchase a NEW hood on the east coast since I live in South Boston, , Virginia It's for my 1980 Caballero, GMC car

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Craigslist is probably going to be the best source for a used hood, or possibly someone here that lives nearby might have one. If it were me I would go with a new Goodmark Cowl-Induction hood. I'm getting one when I get around to it. I would give you mine when I finally do replace it but have no clue when I'l actually do it. That and shipping 1200+ miles would probably cost as much as the Goodmark one through Summit delivered!

Joe

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,565 Posts
Craigslist is probably going to be the best source for a used hood, or possibly someone here that lives nearby might have one. If it were me I would go with a new Goodmark Cowl-Induction hood. I'm getting one when I get around to it. I would give you mine when I finally do replace it but have no clue when I'l actually do it. That and shipping 1200+ miles would probably cost as much as the Goodmark one through Summit delivered!

Joe
Summit Racing is probably closer to you but suggest you also price a hood at National Parts Depot in Ocala , Florida . It may sounds obvious but check their catalog description and be sure it is a metal and not a fiberglass hood unless that is what you want . When I ordered a 2 in. cowl hood a number of years ago , the ad did not specify and I ended up with a fiberglass hood . If you chose to go with fiberglass I recommend you put either a locking or a pair of hold down pins as when get over 90 mph the front of the hood wants to shake .

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good information, Thank You so much. I think back 8-9 years ago when a deer ran out in front of me, the hood came from GoodMark or something like that. Anyway will check them out soon.

·
Premium Member
7,996 Posts
Just to let you know, the hoods are imported from Taiwan. No body parts are made in the States any more for the 5th generation.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get a METAL HOOD anymore if they are all made in Taiwan? 78 ELK pointed that out to me, Thank You Michael in South Boston, Virginia

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,565 Posts
Can you get a METAL HOOD anymore if they are all made in Taiwan? 78 ELK pointed that out to me, Thank You Michael in South Boston, Virginia
Michael , Not sure if I understand your question as my morning cup of Cuban coffee has not fully kicked in yet but new stock flat style reproduction hoods are available . I am looking at my printed OPGI catalog (www. opgi.com ) , for 78-87 5th Gen Caminos and on page 94 they list it unpainted for $ 246.99 with part # L240008 . I think 78elk is correct in that they are all from overseas . They say that the hoods have all the details , mounting points for latches , springs , hinges , insulation pads and clips . I did not previously realize it but National Parts Depot ( located in Ocala , Florida ) , also has an outlet in California , Michigan and one closer to you in North Carolina ( www.NPDLink.com ) .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts