El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I am starting body work on my 1980 el camino and really don't like the side marker lights. And I am wondering what their purpose besides the obvious is? And want to know if anyone has taken them out and filled in the hole before?
All help is appreciated!
Thanks and god bless El Camino lovers!
:driving::dontknow:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm not much on the looks of them on the vehicle.Sure like to give some moron on the phone or texting as much warning as I can that my vehicle is there,tho.I'd keep them,might just save some inattentive fool from wrinkling the fender they're mounted on....or worse.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think the previous owner swapped out your fenders because I don't think they added side markers till 82?:dontknow:You could always swap out some newr fenders 82-88 or like you mentioned fill them,I hate them as well(reason I shaved them along with everything else on my 87,markers,doors,gas door,tailgate,and top of bed rails)take in that my 87 is a "trailer queen":smileyb: if able(your laws)GET RID OF THEM!!!!!

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,615 Posts
First, you may want to check your state's laws, if you have a regular state inspection. I, too, think they're a good idea for a street-driven car, but there's no rule that says they have to be so large. Back in the 70's, we used to use a small circular, chrome-rimmed marker light from late 60's Mopars, such as the Charger below:

Nowadays, with the availability of different-shaped marker lights, as well as LED stuff, you ought to be able to fab up something that get's the job done, compliments your vehicle's lines and is a lot smaller.

Bill

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I did a simple mod years ago. Bent marker brackets to recess light 1/16". Oblonged mount holes. Made alum cover plate & attached with 3m tape. Asimple long rectangular line would look modern.
Flushed rears also, mounted light behind sheetmetal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.