El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 Elky 4.4 267. Stalls out when at high rpm, or high speeds. Invested 2000.00 in car(body great) another 800.00 in parts. I have put on new shocks & catalytic converter. The only experience I have is rebuilding a 98 Altima, Engine top to bottom. Fuel filter spring flew into carb hole. LOL. Took off intake manifold. Getting ready to do the following. (parts already purchased) choke pull-off, idle throttle, erg, pcv, fuel filter, fuel pump, kick cable, thermostat, vacuum hoses, 10 cans of carb cleaner, oil, anti freeze, several sensors etc etc etc. And new gaskets for everything I can see or get to. This was going to be my 17 year olds car through his senior year then I was going to get him a new one and do a complete restoration after he ran it in the ground. So here are my questions. Be gentle I had an 81 Elky brand new back in the day. It would mean a great deal to my son and I for anyone's advice or help. If I had to guess engine has 185000 or so?
Do I continue to replace all the above parts and hope it passes emissions and runs?
Do I break down and drop a 305 in it, and will all the above new parts fit on a 305?
Put it on Craigs list and take my losses?
Cannot find a OEM speedometer/odometer (rectangle) not working.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,710 Posts
Welcome from Florida ! :florida:
I would try the tune-up parts & then see how it runs ?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Ken
I would try the fuel filter first for the high rpm problem,
and vacuum hoses all most never hurt..

for the speedo, check the cable and the plastic gears in the trans??
someone here probably has one for sale,, post in the wanted forum..:rockdover:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentleman I will heath both of your advice. I'm going to go ahead and move forward. Once I get all the parts mentioned installed and get a tune up we will see how it goes. After removing the intake manifold I found a ton of little things to fix/replace. I figure since I'm already there may as well, then a tune up, then hit the road. One big thing I found was there was a good size plug hanging that was suppose to be plugged into the distributor cap(haven't researched yet to know what it is)? That may have been the initial prob? I'll keep this post updated hopefully it will help someone down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update and need a little help. Well I took of the intake manifold found the spring it made it's way into the back port barely visible. Cannot believe it made its way that far fortunately I was able to get it out with magnet. The good thing, Both ports going into the carb were completely blocked so it was a good thing I dropped that fuel filter spring in there. It took me 2 hours just to get the ports cleaned. All of the parts looked straight in the engine and I wet vac and cleaned everything like new. Now my last issue, Trying to find out where a few vacuum hoses belong, anyone have a diagram for 267 4.4. Unfortunately, when I bought the car half of the hoses were not connected/broke/had screws in them etc etc. Im left with 3 lines cannot for the life of me figure out where they go?:-|

·
Registered
12,533 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
267 carb swap or move forward

Now I am debating. Everything back together unfortunately fuel filter line/threads stripped on carb? Option 1 Do I re bore the carb or do I I teflon tape/gorilla glue and start her up and pray it passes emissions? Option 2 go ahead and swap the carb/pull all these dam vacuum hoses and wires And how easy/hard/$ is the job. Edlebrock 1405 - 600 & 2101 manifold. Do I need a new dizzy if I go with option 2? Again I plan on restoring this next year probably with a 350. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank for helping a newbee
1981 267 4.4 El Camino
Specs of product I am considering swapping into 267

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
is 600cfm too much for that motor? Probably cheaper to chase the threads.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
New B

:Welcome!: Ken, If you plan to drop a 350 in it, I would not put a lot of money, if any into it. I would save the funds for the new motor & other up grades.
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio :newbie: bowtie smile

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Welcome from Alabama. I had an 82 with the 267 for 14 years. It ran smooth and was very reliable. But I had to run premium gas and had very little power and the best gas mileage I ever achieved was 16 mpg most of the time I got 13 mpg . The car only had 15000 miles when purchased. If I had to do it again I would have put a new crate 350 in it .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts