El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the rear end out this weekend to install a new gear set and noticed the lower control arm bushings have seen their belter day. Looking for feedback if I should replace the bushings in the current control arms or buy another set and rebuild them and/or just buy new control arms. I have replaced rear control arms bushings in the past and it seemed like a lot of work with the torch, press and air hammer/chisel and wondering which is the best option. I am not interested in boxing the control arms. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks all

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,218 Posts
If they are in good shape apart from the bushings, kinda no point in replacing them unless it's with complete bushing kit already installed. And then there's the option of OEM rubber or poly. I looked, no pre-built poly with stock arms, everything is poly-boxed or adjustable poly-boxed/tubular. And $300+.

So it's more than the work involved, it's what you want for the rear and what HP/torque you expect to put there. With 400HP+, I'd be leaning towards poly boxed and just have done, but for most stock applications 300HP ish or lower, just toss in some poly bushings on the originals.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the lower control arm bushings today with stock bushings and that was a lot of work. Maybe its just that its 95 or that I am older now and not in as good as shape as 25 years ago - either way, its good to get it done.

·
Registered
1987 El Camino
25 Posts
I replaced the lower control arm bushings today with stock bushings and that was a lot of work. Maybe its just that its 95 or that I am older now and not in as good as shape as 25 years ago - either way, its good to get it done.
I'm in the middle of replacing all the bushings in my '87. Everything was original and not very functional anymore. I've had good luck with the ball joint tool to get almost all the bushings out, but I am currently struggling with the bushings in the differential housing. There's not a lot of room with the rear still in the car and working in a driveway on jack stands. Going to go back at it tomorrow to hopefully get them out so I can put the back end together again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts