El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Will do! Thanks for your help. Definitely a different setup then I'm use to as well- grew up working on pre-50 Chevy's (216s/235s) so the amount of vacuum lines and how compact everything is does make it a little tougher haha.. I'll grab some vacuum line today after work (if I can get the size before hand) and see if that helps.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
just regular vacuum hose or fuel hose will work ..
may be 3/16 or 1/4 or 5/16
take a old piece with you to the parts store...

you may be able to find a long piece of vacuum hose on the car,,
cut a piece from it, replace, and take a drive ..

may want to think about replacing all the vacuum hoses,
ONE AT A TIME, don't mix them up..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Max, is this a daily driver? Word of caution...if yes, be careful driving too long distances in first and second gears as overall heat buildup will get too high. Probably better to park it until you resolve problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pull the vacuum hose and check inside the vacuum modulator to see if it has a screw adjustment. If it does, turn it counterclockwise 1/4 turn and test drive it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks everyone for your help, just replaced the tubing and it shifts through the gears like new again 👍👍 thanks for spotting that JJLT1.

Handyman- not a daily (and glad that it isn't right now haha). Just put only about 2 miles on it since this happened. It was given to my wife, and another project for me to work on. For a little 3.8l 6 cyl it runs really smooth, starts immediately when cold, not much power but it gets the job done. Does anyone know much about these motors? Weaknesses?

JerRol79ELC- I'll check the modulator out and see if it has an adjustment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
(y)
on the motor
with the EGR in the rear im assuming the distributor is in the front,
so that would be a 231ci Buick 3.8L V6,,, NOT the Chevy 229ci 3.8L V6..
it makes a big difference on parts, not much is inter-changeable..
except for that, I don't know nuttin about them 231's..
RockAuto link

on the transmission
there is also a TH350 and TH350C, and a
TH250, TH250C version with the same pan and
with a band adjuster stud / nut on the pass side case behind the cooling lines..

Image result for th250 pics

look around for the electrical connector too on the driver side
to see if its a "C" Lock-up Torque-Converter trans,,
kinda like this

Image result for th350 lockup connector  pics

not sure if turning/changing the modulator will do a whole lot,
maybe 2-3mph,, not sure if the OEM modulator is adjustable ether..

""QUOTE
B&M Adjustable Vacuum Modulator (Part# 20234) comes pre-adjusted for ‘normal’ shift points, but it is fully adjustable allowing you to customize the shift points (within a range of 2-4 mph). ""

usually shift point change is a combination of the
modulator, kick-down cable adjustment, and governor springs and weights..
but im not a transmission guy ether..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Awesome, I appreciate the info.

Few things I noticed is my wife was told it had the Buick motor in it but I'm pretty sure the driver side valve cover has 229 stamped on it- I'll have to look again. The distributor is on the front of the motor like you said-

The trans does have that electrical connection on the driver's side. I'll look to see if it has that port coming out of the case next to the cooling lines.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
On the TH350, doesn't it have a screw inside the transmission vacuum module? I remember having to adjust that with my 69 Chevy truck to get from 2nd to 3rd. A vacuum line is likely the culprit if you have no issues with the TV cable.

Reactions: MaxShadow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So I was mistaken about the 229- it has a "149" stamped on the valve cover behind the filler cap. Distributor in front- not sure if "149" means anything- going to go grab oil and a filter today but when I looked up the oil filter it was asking if it was a 3.8L A or K? I imagine one is the 229 and the other a 231 but not sure which one correlates with the A/K. I imagine the filter is the same for both.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
A or K is the digit in the Vin number for the motor..
we already know it's not a Chevy 229 cuz the distributor is not in the rear..
8th digit - This identifies the engine
K = V-6, 229cid
A = V-6, 231cid
J = V-8, 267cid
H = V-8, 305cid
link to > Vin Decoder
best place to lookup and compare part numbers,
better brands usually, more choices,
sometimes there shipping is a little high, if so take the number and shop around ..
go here, Link> RockAuto
those 2 motors are 2 different animals, almost nothing inter-changes..
I think Wix and NAPA, ACDelco have the better oil filters, without the higher price..

21 - 33 of 33 Posts