El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Howdy El Camino Lovers!.....im currently working on a project that will make your mouths water....i am building a 1981 El Camino with a 427 w/750 Holly Double Pumper, 500 lift cam, Dual Flowmasters, Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, New Bigger Pistons, Bored 60 over, 700R4 Tany(might change the Trany), Hole Shot Converter, Shift Kit, Hurst Shifter, Crager Mags, Roll Pan, SS El Camino Nose Conversion, Side Ground Effects with the working side exsaust dumps, Roll Pan, and it will also have the SS Camino Stripes.....this is going to be one pretty B*TCH when it gets done....in about 3 weeks it will completed and i will post some pics...its going to pretty durn sweet....give me some feed back if you [email protected] :evil:

El Meano 81

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ditch the 700 and get yourself a 400 instead. Very few tranny guys can build a 700 to withstand the torque a 427 puts out (and the ones that can charge a mint to do it ($2200 was the last cost I heard on one). They'll all tell you they can, but even one built by an 'expert' here in Dallas just failed behind a 370 hp small block....it cost him $1600 to rebuld his core and it cost him $250 to begin with. He's pretty pissed and is switching over to a 400.

If you really want a four speed auto, step up to a 4L80E that's been converted to non-computer operation....they are much better trannys.

The TH-400's were the tranny of choice behind the LS-6 454 and can be built 'bulletproof' to withstand over 600 ft lbs of torque. You can also put a GV overdrive behind it for the highway ($2500)...but don't tell me you're building that 427 for mileage... 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts