El Camino Central Forum banner

1981 El Camino 3.8 "Buick" V6.... cuts out at mid-

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Brian Mifsud 
#1 ·
It's me again... The original "problem" I had been trying to rid myself of when I did the tuneup was a part/midthrottle cutout the car exibits. After the replacement of fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor and coil.. guess what, still cuts out at mid throttle!!! :(

If you floor it, the car runs. It sems "happy" at idle, and off idle also, but the midrange results in virtually a complete "miss" on all 6 cylinders! It seems to only happen under load as I can't recreate it consistently while goosing the throttle by hand under the hood.

The engine code reads "23". Problem is the Chilton book doesn't help much in fixing the problem. "23" relates with the solenoid on the carb. Is there a better book to refer to?

If this is a carbueretor problem I'm thinking a rebuild is in order. Are the rebuild kits from NAPA worth while. Is this the case of some type of "sticky" solenoid???

thanks for the help.

Brian

#2 ·
I didn't see it so I'll ask... Did you replace the electronic module in the distrubitor? Usually they just give up the ghost and quit but sometimes they act freeky at different RPMs and can cause a mis. I'd have to say it "Sounds to me like an Ignition issue but your running out of ignition parts.

Remove the Dist, check the Cam Gear, Look at the lobes of the cam to see if any look abnortmally worn or the Timing Chain to see if it has stretched really big. Check Valve lash, should be zero lash.

Apply the brake (Power Brake it) and run through the gears at high RPM see if it does it then (cut out). Could be fuel dilevery but I just don't think it is. Not that I am any type of an expert. :) I guess that the float could be out of adjustment in the carb or have a hole in it. And the fuel pump could also be an issue.

So this is just another list of junk to check on.

#3 ·
Hello Pete,

When you say "electronic module" are you referring to the coil in the cap? If so, yes it has been replaced. If you are referring to some of the goods under the rotor.. no I haven't touched those yet...

I'll try the other diagnostic steps you've outlined.

thanks

Brian

#4 ·
Pete's refering to the electronic module under the rotor. Take it out and run it to your local Autozone. They can test the functioning (or lack of) in a matter of minutes. If it's not that, I'd look into a new fuel pump, it's a cheap part so your not out much if the problem persists. I had a 3.8 Buick in my old '83 Cutlass, what a POS engine in carb'd form :p

#5 ·
I have a 3.8 in my 86 buick electra, had the same problem. also stalled at lights if throttle pressed just right. the fix was a new TPS, Throttle Position Sensor. It is just a potentiometer, and it failes over time due to corroision internally. you can check it out with your chilton's book, using a DVM. It shows how in your Chiltons exactly how to do it. Hope this helps. -Chad, 77 El Camino Classic (for sale, pics on site)

#6 ·
CHVYPWR said:
Pete's refering to the electronic module under the rotor. Take it out and run it to your local Autozone. They can test the functioning (or lack of) in a matter of minutes. If it's not that, I'd look into a new fuel pump, it's a cheap part so your not out much if the problem persists. I had a 3.8 Buick in my old '83 Cutlass, what a POS engine in carb'd form :p
AHA!!!! I'll take that little bugger out and have it checked out. From the way the engine cuts out so "violently", it seemed like a "6cylinder" miss, yet it made no sense after I replaced all the obvious items....

thanks,
Brian

#7 ·
77Elky said:
I have a 3.8 in my 86 buick electra, had the same problem. also stalled at lights if throttle pressed just right. the fix was a new TPS, Throttle Position Sensor. It is just a potentiometer, and it failes over time due to corroision internally. you can check it out with your chilton's book, using a DVM. It shows how in your Chiltons exactly how to do it. Hope this helps. -Chad, 77 El Camino Classic (for sale, pics on site)
Double AHA! (AHA, AHA???) Corrosion has certainly run rampant inside this engine compartment! My blower for the heater was barely running until I pulled the connector and cleaned the contacts. From the amount of twigs and leaves inside the compartment, as well as the very thick caked layer of mud all over the suspension, I think the field this car sat in for awhile must have flooded, or the car sat under a tree for a long time, unattended and uncleaned.

My little Porsche 914/2.0 with Bosch D-Jetronic Fuel Injection (the crudest yet first mass produced fuel injection system in the world) had corroded throttle position contacts. A light buffing and hitting them with some die=electric grease solved that problem... maybe I'll be so lucky this time..

thanks for the hints,

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.