El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started with a solid foundation that really didn't need anything. It started with wanting bucket seats and a floor shifter, but it's going to end up being much more.

·
Premium Member
8,418 Posts
It's a very nice looking El Camino. Great job on it.

·
Premium Member
8,418 Posts
That's cool to make it better than it is. Looking forward to seeing pictures as you move forward.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,797 Posts
Nice ride
that doesn't have the SS parts on it
It has the Conquista Parts on it
the BX8 Body side moldings with the thin moldings around the bed
The body number plate on the firewall under the wiper arm should have more info with the paint codes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice ride
that doesn't have the SS parts on it
It has the Conquista Parts on it
the BX8 Body side moldings with the thin moldings around the bed
The body number plate on the firewall under the wiper arm should have more info with the paint codes
Yes, it's a Conquista but will be my version of an SS when I'm done. I guess the car looked pretty good when I bought it so people are misunderstanding that I hadn't even begun in those pics.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well you certainly have a good base to start with. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Don't just throw away that bench seat of you're going to buckets. At least in my area they're worth decent money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you certainly have a good base to start with. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Don't just throw away that bench seat of you're going to buckets. At least in my area they're worth decent money.
Pretty sure that's an Olds bench from a 4 door. Reason is the pattern of the upholstery seems to say Olds (with my limited knowledge) and it does not lean forward to give access to the storage area. I couldn't remove the spare tire if I wanted with that bench seat in place.

That being said, I have gotten the interior in the right direction. I picked up some trim pieces from Mikes Montes, got a center console from someone in Chicago, and mounted a 2nd gen Camaro / Firebird Quicksilver shifter (still needs the cable ran).I plan to replace all woodgrain pieces with black yet. I also have a floor shift column that I have stripped down. Just need to get the floor shifter operating properly and then I can pull the steering column and move all the necessary parts to the floor shift column. I plan to top it off with a blue Monte SS steering wheel.

Seats have been an issue. I bought one set of buckets that were supposed to be from a Monte SS, but they were not. I've thought about using them anyway but they're a bit wide and sit higher than what I like (they are in the pic below). I did pick up a set of gray high back buckets, but then found upholstery would take up to 24 weeks to get due to a fake virus, lol. I've been looking for a proper set of blue buckets and would be happy with either the high back style or the Monte SS style, although the high backs are correct for an 81.

My son and I made quite a long haul yesterday and picked up a few more parts to add:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Gonna be a good build. Funny enough I also have a Conquista like yours with the same cowl hood and Monte SS wheels. I'm currently in the process of finishing up the Choo Choo nose install. You're ether going to need to trim the front 2 tone fender trim or just delete it. I deleted mine being that the car was going in for a repaint but kept the upper Conquista bed trim. This is the only decent pic I have after paint but prior to the grill and lower lights installed.
Also something to bear in mind is how you're planning on mounting the headlight buckets in the car. Not sure where you got your fiberglass nose from but it doesn't look like you have anything else with it. The company I got my nose from sells headlight buckets separately that I fiberglassed into the nose itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan to remove it completely for the cleanest look possible. Any advice on that process would be appreciated. I have also designed some El Camino SS decals, taking from the 85 / 86 Monte Carlo SS design that I am thinking of using.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well they sell El Camino SS decals that will match those wheel center caps you have. That's what I'm planning on doing. As far as deleting the trim goes, there are studs on the door and rear quarter panels that hold the trim in place as well as a couple of holes on either side in the front fenders and edge of the doors. I used a dremel with a small cut off wheel to take care of the studs and welded up the holes on mine. That plus a little bondo work and you'd never know they were there.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Nice progress! There’s a guy on here looking for front left fender trim if yours is nice and you want to sell some of it. Your seats look good now (I’m guessing ‘88 or newer fwd Monte or Grand Prix). Are you using your Elky base or the new seats’ mounts? Maybe you could lower them some. Or, since you’re going custom anyway, try some late model comfy seats. There’s a thread on here somewhere-some guys use Acura, some late model GM, etc.
Patrick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure the seats are from a GM truck of some sort. Slightly too tall and too wide. What's weird is that I was able to put a set of full bench seat tracks on each bucket, and they lined up perfectly and mounted. When I put the same mounts on the GM high back G body buckets, they were about an inch narrower and would not fit on the floor mounts. I'm looking at other options but with upholstery so backed up at the moment, I'm hoping to find some that are in blue so I don't have to mess with that part. If it becomes to much of an issue, I'll get someone to make upholstery for the gray buckets I have, although I don't know how expensive that could get.

I did pick up another item today. It's a 5.3 LM7 drive by cable motor that I got from a local guy who has done a number of LS swaps and knows all the ins and outs. And then when I went to pick up bolts to put the motor on the stand, I met a second guy who has not only done a number of swaps, but also knows how to do the harnesses and tune them as well. Definitely going to be helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts