El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, havent been active much since my project is slow, but now that its picking back up i thought id start sharing. first off im ivan_a_81g as you can see i have an 81 elcamino.
the car was originally a 6 cylinder car.
current motor is a 350 chevy .30 over. 4 bolt block. dont know much about the motor, just got it re sealed, heads resurfaced and a little work on the valve seats, p.o. seemed to have put maybe a mild cam in it and some minor head work, not to sure. put an edelbrock intake, and a new edelbrock carb. some headers, aluminum radiator, basics to make the motor reliable.
all the suspension is worn and stock.
interior is all original brown and tan. tranny is a beat old 3 speed. all the brakes are stock. rear end is stock, guessing 7.5 10 bolt? not to sure, but here is the car how it sits now...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
as of now, i bought a t-5 tranny originally from a 88 trans am gta.
Got my clutch/brake pedal from a 88 iroc. also got a stock replacement clutch and flywheel and a couple other bits for the 5 speed swap.
im also starting with re-doing all my front end. all new steering linkages rod ends etc. from Moog are at the shop. monte carlo ss steering box aswell. i got some S10 blazer spindles/brake assembly for the front... gonna switch it hopefully to 13 inch rotors.
just ordered tubular upper and lower arms, Qa1 coil overs and front and rear sway bars. for now those will be the most immediate mods i will be working on this summer. pictures should start coming in soon! :inlove::nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
My 80 had a 6 with a 3 speed from the factory, now it has a 400 tranny and the clutch petal just sitting there to tease me!!!:let_it_all_out:
Keep the pics. coming!!!:beer:
Donny

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well ive been a little slow on my thread but heres an update...car is officially at the shop almost all the parts for this current round are in heres some pics

lower control arms

upper control arms

front and rear sway bars

front coil overs should arrive this monday
thats all my suspension mods for now

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
monte carlo ss stearing box

new rod ends and centerlink

junkyard find, blaze spindles and calipers...gonna upgrade to 13 inch rotors

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T-5 out of an 88 Trans Am

Pedals out of an 88 rs camaro

New clutch and flywheel

all the parts laid out

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well we ran into a small snag, turns out the 305 flywheel wasnt right for my car, we overlooked the fact that i have a 350, a little investigating and we found that using a 70's corvette flywheel would work, or a 2nd gen camaro flywheel too i believe, but either way, tranny is now in the car, and the crossmember has been modified, cut the whole for the shifter too...well heres some pics :nanawrench:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
now to mock up the cross member to see where to modify it.

transmission mount on the crossmember had to be mover over towards the driver side a couple inches, aswell as lowered about an inch.

here it is moved and welded in. you can kind of see where it used to be...

and painted.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It looks good too.... This is what I want to do for my next elky project if I ever finish the one im workin on.:poke:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Looks great. Do everybody a favor (and also yourself) and put together a list of all the part numbers and year/make to which they belong that you used in doing this swap. It will save you time if something breaks and also the next guy will have a path for a proven swap.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys...ill try and make a list, its surprisingly not that many parts...but i think i have my receipts ill try and check those part numbers.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts