El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car sight unseen with some great ideas of all the parts I could use off it on my 79 El Camino. Beautiful near mint interior, power window and locks, perfect dash with every gauge and dial you can imagine, sway bars and suspension, rebuilt 350 with 30,000km headers and new dual exhaust, rebuilt turbo 350 with stage 2 shift kit, and anything else I might wanna snatch out of it.

This was also the same make and year of car I rented 31 years ago to go to my graduation party in, and I did love that rental but was never able to afford one back then. Figured with all the great stuff I could put in the Elky, I would have the best of both worlds.

Well I went to get the car this past weekend, and knew I had to do some brake work to get it home. But I wasn't expecting this car to be in such beautiful shape. The pictures in the ad did look really good, but I've been there before with several purchases recently. You can hide a lot with pictures and make a silk purse out of a sows ear with just the right lighting and angle of shots. My Elky was sort of like that, but I loved it so much I still bought it.

Anyways, this Grand Prix was better than pictured. I am the fourth owner after three family members owning it before me since new. It has been parked and garage kept every winter. I have an envelope with every record of service and receipt for it since new, and amazingly, the build sheet was in there too! I still think I must be dreaming and somebody is gonna piss on my parade and wake me up!

I can't wait to finally get this car home and have it as my daily driver while I work on my El Camino. I can't believe I get to re-live one of the happiest times in my life and drive the car I rented for grad and always wanted again one day. That day will be soon now!

Ok, we all like pictures, so here is the pics I pulled from the ad, and just know that it's even nicer than what you see here. Oh yeah, did I mention I didn't see a speck of rust on her anywhere! Not even underneath while I had her jacked up to do some brake work and bleeding. Only rust found is two small holes in the rear bumper on each end about the size of a dollar coin.

Do you think $700 was too much for this car? What have I done recently to deserve such great karma? Am I still asleep and dreaming of all this?

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
I would keep it as is and get a parts donor for my elkie elsewhere .

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
In the salt belt your in I would keep it as well.,, I would love to have the seats out of it,,, that is a steal for 700.00,,, I wish I could fine one like that,,, Nice,, matty man

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am gonna keep it and give it the attention she deserves, too good a car to take parts from, and thanks to leogenxx I got most of what I needed for the Elky two weeks ago. I can find an interior for the Elky elsewhere and buy the suspension I want new.

Wont take much and she is a show car/driver!

Aw come on, somebody pinch me!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update! Replaced the master cylinder, cut, flared, and bent two near perfect new 3/16 rear brake lines. PO said it was driver rear blown, but I did both. Began to bleed, but was stopped by the drip, drip, drip of brake fluid. That's when I noticed it was actually the main rear line blown out just a few inches in front of the flex line from the tee off the diff.

Wrenched off old line at the tee and cut it at where it meets the frame to travel up towards the master cylinder. Was the easiest spot to lift it an inch or two and barely get a cutter and flaring tool on it without replacing the whole line. Cut 2ft piece of new 1/4 brake line, flared and bent it, but not quite as perfect, was tough on the fingers without a bending tool. Connected to the flex line, and coupled it to the old line. Most amazing part is I remembered to put the fitting on the old line before I flared it! Whew! Back to bleeding! did the right rear, then left rear, then right front and left front. Low and behold, she has brakes!

All was made easy due to using a friends four post hoist he has set up in his garage driveway. He's a heavy duty mechanic working out of town at a logging camp until fire season. there will be many more jobs I'll get done while he's away and I have use of the hoist. Sure makes life easy.

Next problem to track down is no signal lights. Found blown fuse, replaced it and it blows again as soon as I turn the key. Took apart all bulbs and sockets in the rear and cleaned, repaired faulty ground wire connection, all bulbs light, replace fuse and it blows as soon as key is turned. Moved to the front, repeated steps for rear, fuse blows turning key.

Flashers on fuse panel both good, and all signals light and flash with 4-way on. Tried another fuse and it too blows as soon as I turn the key. Headlights and high beam all good, all running lights, side markers and opera, are good, all interior lights (dome, opera, ashtray, dash, glove-box, under-dash) working. Trunk, brakes and back-up all good.

Went to parts store and came home with a 5 pack of 20a fuses (they were out of stock on 20a breakers). Where should I look next? Any suggestions on how to continue and solve this fuse blowing would be appreciated. Will look at column next, but having too much fun enjoying it and driving it last two days, even if I have to use hand signals out the window.

The car moves along really good, did a carb clean, and some lucas in the tranny as she has sat for 11 years in storage (old plates were dated 2001 when I put my new ones on). Need the timing addressed or maybe mechanical advance weights in the distibutor cleaned and lubed. It's a bit sluggish off the line, but once she gets a few rpms in her, she goes like stink!

Test and tune at the drag strip for club members scheduled end of the month. Will have to bring this one too. Already planned on racing the Elky and the V8 S10. Which will have the best time slip? Gonna be fun!

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
Tim
unplug the turn signal switch at the base of the column and see if the fuse still blows. That will tell you if the problem is in the steering column or somewhere else in the vehicle. If it still blows it has to be between the fuse box and the base of the column. Has there been any wiring added around the fuse box?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tim
unplug the turn signal switch at the base of the column and see if the fuse still blows. That will tell you if the problem is in the steering column or somewhere else in the vehicle. If it still blows it has to be between the fuse box and the base of the column. Has there been any wiring added around the fuse box?
Tried unplugging under the column, and still no joy! There has been some added wiring at some point for a radio/cd player, and the stock guages have been changed out for autometer's and looks like there was a big amp in the trunk at one time because I found a heavy guage wire running to the back that was cut. Also noted a trailer plug was spliced in near the plug in the trunk for the rear lights.

Ordered a dead-short circuit detector and hope it comes tomorrow so I can get to the bottom of this. Would be nice to drive without the hand signals and even that will soon end because the power window stopped working this afternoon, and I have also noticed when it rained today that my wipers work at high speed no matter what I select, be it slow, fast, delay or mist.

Lots of small problems for a car that is in such good shape, but 31 year old wiring must be her weak spot. Will have to tackle these areas one by one. Hoping the dead-short tester will simplify things for me and get me moving in the appropriate direction.

Need to get back to working on my 79Elky, she misses me! I have a ton of parts for her to get working on. Then there's the new girl, the 84 Conquista. She needs to be brought home to see what I should do with that one.

Tempus Fugit!:nanawrench:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts