El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

10 months ago I posted about getting my Grandpa's baby home after it sat in Grandma's garage for 16 years. Lots to do, lots to do. Over that time it has been a terrible frustration trying to get this roadworthy again to the point I can get Granny in for a ride before it's too late (cancer is a B*...). I have rebuilt the carb that's on there now two times and still end up with the same problem. When it's cold it'll start and run just fine. But if it's warm, it'll start and immediately die. Every time. I don't know what to do. A friend who is something of a mechanic suggested I get rid of the carb that is on there now and replace it with a pre-emissions compliant carb and a new distributor cap and simplify and improve the whole process.

Does that sound reasonable and helpful? And if so, what parts do ya'll suggest I get? Money is a limited commodity (otherwise I'd take this thing to someone who knew what they were doing... lol) but I want to get it done right, so open to suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello there and thanks for saving another elky. Make sure the fuel pump is putting out enough fuel. Check the rubber lines at the tank just above the differential. They crack over time and dry up. When the choke is on it’s pulling fuel with engine vacuum but as it warms up and the choke is off you lose that. Also the simple stuff check all vacuum lines and fuel filter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi all...

10 months ago I posted about getting my Grandpa's baby home after it sat in Grandma's garage for 16 years. Lots to do, lots to do. Over that time it has been a terrible frustration trying to get this roadworthy again to the point I can get Granny in for a ride before it's too late (cancer is a B*...). I have rebuilt the carb that's on there now two times and still end up with the same problem. When it's cold it'll start and run just fine. But if it's warm, it'll start and immediately die. Every time. I don't know what to do. A friend who is something of a mechanic suggested I get rid of the carb that is on there now and replace it with a pre-emissions compliant carb and a new distributor cap and simplify and improve the whole process.

Does that sound reasonable and helpful? And if so, what parts do ya'll suggest I get? Money is a limited commodity (otherwise I'd take this thing to someone who knew what they were doing... lol) but I want to get it done right, so open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Make sure your choke isn't sticking when it is hot, or it might just need a choke adjustment.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
lots of things to check in the old thread, and we got no feedback on
whats good or bad, whats checked, whats better or worse..

yes you could change the carb and distributor, but will it help?? is it the problem ??
what did the mechanic friend check??

you need to figure out which way to go,,
fuel delivery or carb or spark or timing or just a good tune up ..

check for a spark after it dies and wont start ??
where is the timing set at ?? was it changed ??

lots of fuel, where is it coming from ??
did you check the choke ?? it looks like its closed a little to much
if its flooding, the plugs will be black and wet..
what do the plugs look like ??
vacuum leak ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts