El Camino Central Forum banner

1982 elcamino engine swap. Having problems with new mounts

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Louie 87 camino 4.3 
#1 ·
I have a 1982 elcamino and the v6 engine was eating up oil so I found a 307 on craigslist off of a 71 chevelle. Im ready to put the engine back in but I cannot for the life of me find the engine mounts that bolt on to the frame. I have the rubber ones that are on the engine block but havent found the ones for the frame. I have bought 3 different types of mounts and still cant find the right ones. I think I read somewhere that the 307 was the only small block that had different mounts but I cant find where to purchase them. Do any of you guys know which ones I need?

#3 ·
Are you using the clam shells or are you trying to fit the 71 mounts?

#5 ·
welcome Plowman

x2
the rubber motor mounts for the engine are for older cars,
finding the right frame mounts for those will be hard, basicly trial and error..

much easyer to use the 80s style mounts?? like this??

2 of these for the motor brackets..
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-332648/overview/

2 of these style for the frame side rubber motor mount..
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ani-2292/overview/year/1985/make/chevrolet/model/el-camino

a 307 block is the same as other SBCs..
but back in the 70s there were several different size mounts for cars..

:texas:
some pics..

Attachments

#8 ·
Also, the V8 motor mounts go in different holes than the V6 mounts on your Elky. Other's will have to chime in on more specifics.

#11 ·
Question: I have a 1982 El Camino with a Buick 231 engine that is 3+ yrs old. The El Camino went into the body shop for 'rust spot repair, dent, and a new paint job' for $6997... being that I was leaving it there long term they were giving me a break. Long story short they took the entire front end apart and now 'no windows, no doors, all the parts are in the bed of the truck'... So I'm looking for a 'good straight body' to put me back into my Camino... I found a 1985 good straight body, that doesn't have an engine. Would it work to have the 231 put into the 85? Would that be the best thing to do, or just sell the entire 82 and get a new engine for the 85?
(I'm 67 yr old woman retired and no automotive skills, so this is got to be for under $10,000)

#15 ·
Jesus! What a story.!! I think you ended up at a shiesters garage. Look....these cars are old ...and call of em have rust /problems. Keep in mind this is good quality metal made 30 years ago, no matter how rusted-out it can be repaired. And extremely rarely do the frames rust all the way through. 90% of us cannot afford to take off the body and do a frame up rebuild. That sounds like what was going on. Why the shop stopped I cannot understand. No car is past saving when you rebuild it like that. If it was that grossly rusted through the frame ,why did the shop take it on? Sounds like they changed their minds after having it halfway apart. And then used the excuse that it was unsafe to the inspector, which the inspector cannot deny because he works with the government interview was responsible for allowing cars to be put back on the road that are safe. Look, if you have that kind of money to throw at a 30 yr old car you want,then the best financial way of obtaining the car is to buy one already restored. For a stock version with about 100k in great condition would go for 5-10 k (depending on condition and trim type, etc. ) I don't think you want a completely rebuilt or"built-up car. They are rarely original engine,trans,etc, and cost way too much,and then you have issues cause there are so much maintenance and tunning required cause it's all custom stuff. As far as your old car ,if you have most of the parts there, and you want it together,keep going to garages and getting quotes. It should not cost 10k to put it back together. 3-5 thousand TOPPS! That's just to get it back together and running, not to make it a show car with a new paint job. If you want that you are better off buying another car. You can also hire what are known as home mechanics or even a mechanic from a garage to come to your home and put it together there. Although I would imagine they would want it in the shop next to all their tools and the lift.) You weren't very clear with explaining whether or not you had the entire car or just a pile of "some" of the parts. Either way if you go with buying another car then you want to sell the parts, do it as a bulkk deal. Meaning don't sell the parts one by one, sell it all as one, for one price. You have to ask a lot of questions from others and educate yourself about this in order to make it out ,and get the majority of money back out of the deal. Example:,is how much should you sell the whole pile of parts for? Answer: if you do have the car frame and majority of parks, depending on condition of the car's frame and motor I would imagine 500 to $1,200. Because whoever Parts the car out is going to Triple that. But it will take them a year or so. My advice is to restart another discussion but title it different. Titling it correctly gets more responses. I suggest titling it ,(my car is in pieces what should I do?) You really got yourself into a jam, and in my opinion oh, it is because you did not do enough research beforehand. Do not make the same mistake. Research, ask questions, and don't give up. Those parts are worth a lot to us on this site.

#17 ·
Agree with last post!! (Hat trick)( youve got the attention of one of the pros here,lol) post pics of it the interior,parts in bed,engine bay,different angles. Its not hard, just take pic normally with phone and type message in thread like normal,then jus under where you type there is a bunch of selections, font type, paper clip,smiley face,etc. Click on the picture emblem,(top right) a box will pop up,it says,(drag image or click here) click on box and it will take you to all your recent pics/saved pics. Select pics you want,post like normal. Others say you can also use paper clip and camera selection to include pics,but I'm not familiar. These pics will help everyone to be able to instruct you. Putting your doors on was easy/I cannot belive they didn't,you should have them out on asap to protect interior .or at least use a good quality tarp/not a cheepo! Your doing untold damage exposing it to water. Do this immediately! Or most of the valuable parts will be worthless if you decide to sell as part car. once water gets in,it sits ,festers, rusts, etc. Cover immediately!even if it's already wet. Post pics,(a lot)cover the car, and we will help you decide how to proceed. Any question of how to navigate sight, go to (f.a.q.) top right, three dots. Get moving!lots to do to dig out of this and save that classic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.