El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.
I just bought this 1982 Elky 4 months ago. It had been abandoned for the past fouryears probably.
It seems to be in very good shape, no rust on the floor or frame.
Will be doing an engine swap and full frame off resto- mod.
Engine is a231 CI V6
Wheels are 14" Cragar
Drivetrain, interior and body are all stock As far as I know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I posted the wrong photobucket links above. The edit button still does not show up for I am a new user.
I will edit later after reaching 25 posts.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Welcome!

My first Elk was an 84' in the same color. I dumbly gave it to the local wrecking yard after I bought a new car and continually had problems with it, the final straw being a broken intake on the 229. I had a Plymouth Duster and thought that was a higher priority. Pre-Craigslist era and being 18 was a dumb time. :smileyb:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome!

My first Elk was an 84' in the same color. I dumbly gave it to the local wrecking yard after I bought a new car and continually had problems with it, the final straw being a broken intake on the 229. I had a Plymouth Duster and thought that was a higher priority. Pre-Craigslist era and being 18 was a dumb time. :smileyb:
Some of the cars I wish I still had.......'68 Torino GT, 70 1/2 Cougar.....same deal. Live and Learn!
:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Took the body off to get it cleaned and painted. This is what it looked like after removing the body:

And this is what it looked like after an initial clean up:

I really want to get as much rubber as possible in the rear wheelwells, and therefore decided to do a frame notch.
While the frame is off it will also get some Frame boxing and control arm mounting reinfocement.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OH....sorry, good luck on the Elco. Got your engine and driveline picked out yet?
As for now I have a 396 stroked LT1 that I used to drag race in my F body two years ago and a built 4l60E just waiting to go in there. the LT1 has been tamed down a bit with a smaller cam for better street manners.

This is an older picture of the engine before it was installed in the Camaro:

I am being tempted by my friend who is helping me with the build to go for an LQ4 out of a 2004 Tahoe....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking of doing this also....when I break the 7.5" 10 bolt. With that small of a notch, will you need to mini tub the bed? :secret:
Yes I will be doing mini tubs too. The frame was flush with the inner wheelwells before disassembly, so to take advantage of the frame notch you have to mini tub the bed too!

Welcome !!
Have you looked into frame braces ? The braces I refer to, bolt to the rear cross member, and the lower control arm mount bolts...
They are supposed to take some stress off of the the frame @ the cross member etc with triangulation..

I put some on my '75 last year...

Bill
Thanks for the suggestion Bill.
Yes, I've been looking at those too. I welded some reinforcement plates on the control arm mounts but plan to add the braces futher on.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Feels like christmas!
We just started putting all these parts together. Looking forward for the end result.

SS Machine upper Control Arms with Tall Ball joints

New (rebuilt) Steering Box off Monte Carlo SS

Engine mounts with POLY inserts

Tomorrow hopefully Lower control arms, Blazer spindles with C5 hybrid brakes (Home made brackets for FBody calipers and C5 discs) , springs and shock absorbers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Front suspension, steering and brakes are done.
Made my own Brake adapter brakets with some drawings I found on the web. My front brake system is hybrid though. I am using Camaro LS1 calipers and abutement brackets with C5 Discs and pads all mounted on Blazer spindles.

Bilstein Shock absorbers, Moog coil springs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 93 Posts