El Camino Central Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Time to do some interior work.
I am changing over the original interior from blue to black.
I had my bench seat re done in black. I think i might later on install bucket seats, but will leave that for a while.
Got my dash and the harness out. Will rewire to include Dakota Digital gauges and new sound system.

This is how it looks right now:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Working on the wire harness. I am extending all the necessary instrument cluster wires to the passenger side kick panel, where the OEM ECM was located. That is where I plan to locate the Dakota Digital control in case I need to access it in the future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Did my dash cap in the meantime too. Used as many spring clamps as I could and cut some 1/4" plywood boards to keep the dash cap as tight to the original dash as possible. The wood plates were held in place by 1/4" threaded rod pieces and some more wooden hold downs from the opposite side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
After modifying the dash harness as needed, I proceeded to install it on the back of the dash and routed the necessary wires for the Dakota Digital Instruments to the passenger side. I am installing the Dakota Digital controller and the GSS2000 decoder on the right kick panel, where the OEM PCM was originally installed. I am using three groups of Molex connectors for ease of installation and in case of future removal/service needs. I had to source a longer CAT5 patch cable to reach the instrument panel from the chosen location.
I also installed these Kenwood dash speakers that fit with some minor clearancing for the magnet

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
First class job Ricardo. My hat's off to you! :You_Rock:

Don't know how I missed this thread until now. I'm in the process of painting my El Camino white right now. I discussed hood stripes early in my planning stage and yours are done the best I've seen. Just the way I had in mind.

Did you use any templates or did you do it all by eyeball and measuring. Any advice you can give me about doing them would be appreciated.

Roger

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Thanks a lot for your compliments, Roger. Sure means a lot coming from you.

The inspiration came from a picture found on line of a Silver fifth gen Elco posted by Super Chevy. I think you have the same picture in your restoration thread.

I did not use any templates Roger. I just went over to the shop with the painter and talked the idea over.

Then we laid some tape on the hood and he did his magic.

Basically its two wide solid lines separated 4" in the center of the hood and 4" from the crease on both sides of the hood. These wide lines end about 1 1/4" from the front crease on the nose. Then we added a 1/4" stripe all around the wide lines separated by 1/4" from the wide solid lines on the hood.

You can appreciate the description in the following pictures:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks for the compliments.
I really enjoy working the ELCO.
Doing some interior work and other refinements like rear speakers and raising the whole exhaust some to gain a little ground clearance, not that it is a problem right now, but any additional ground clearance is always welcome.

Still have a lot of tuning to do on the 411 PCM but I guess that will be the last thing too do.

This is how my interior ended up after all the assembly. Fortunately everything works as planned and I had no electrical issues:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
an awesome amount of work here and an awesome looking ride. that hood and stripes are something I dream of putting on my '78 good luck with the final finishing and have years of enjoying your very cool 'Camino.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
A few teaser pictures of the work in progress:
I stil have a few things to work on but ive been driving around lately and get a lot of thumbs up.

I really like how it tuned out.
I might do a roll pan later on and would like to lower it a bit too.
I know not everyone will like the bed molding delete but the most important is that I really like it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Thanks for the comments guys. I just cant get over the build and keep thinking what can be improved. I am so glad I did not go on with the spreadsheet keeping track of all the costs involved!!

One of the last improvements done was installing new door sill plates:
IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg
I also added the center console faceplate from the SS setup to complement the Instrument cluster and passenger side insert. Fitting that center console faceplate was a huge deal. I had to cut and modify a lot but it turned out allright.
IMG_0619.jpg
This is what my interior looks like right now:

IMG_0620.jpg

·
Registered
912 Posts
61 - 80 of 93 Posts