El Camino Central Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Just another couple of pictures:

Engine Bay:
Recently added a set of painted fuel rail covers from a C4 Vette.
Thinking of doing ceramic coated headers to lower engine compartment temperatures and upgrading the looks too.

IMG_0840.jpg

Nice picture from last weekend

f888215b-1596-4cd9-96f8-17e0f49d82a3.JPG

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wow, what a great looking engine compartment!

I've got A LOT of work to do to get mine even close to looking that good.

Great job Ricardo. Taken it to any shows yet?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Last upgrade done to Elco:
Replaced my Shoenfeld mild steel headers with an identical set but ceramic coated.
All I can say is: what a difference! The underhood temperatures went down quite a bit and the looks are awesone. When I took the spark plug wires off I found two of them that were severely degraded due to the excess heat being irradiated by the headers. I just cant get over them.

Here is a comparison between the two sets:

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
This really is a never ending project. This time I am focusing on the exhaust. I dont like the way the X pipe sounds in comparison to the H pipe, so i decided to modify my PyPES 3" dual exhaust, got rid of the X and replaced it with a fabricated H out of 304 45 deg elbows and T´s .

This is the original PYPES exhaust with the X laying on the floor:
Pypes on the floor fr.JPG

And this is the fabricated H
db81c778-7687-4034-89c9-8ef88d75ad0b.JPG

My next move will be cutting and modifying the straight rear exit pipes in order to convert the system to exit behind the rear wheels.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good looking work. I have always liked the 5th gens in white.
Just something about the way white and chrome look together.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Thanks guys, I just can't get enough. Yesterday we modified the rear exit arrangement from the PYPES system and I really like the results. The first two pictures show the original right side pipe and a close up of where we cut the 45 deg bend and 24" of straight pipe off.
IMG_3017.jpg IMG_3018.jpg

These one show the modified right side pipe and its routing.
IMG_3019.jpg IMG_3020.jpg

And finally the end product
IMG_3021.jpg IMG_3022.jpg

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Doing bucket seats
Got a little more carried away into the never ending project. This time I am doing some interior mods. About a year ago I totalled my 1996 F Body due to an accident due to rain coming back from the track. Fortunately there was nobody injured. My F body was in very good shape and I was able to save the complete drivetrain and many interior and body components. The bucket seats are in very good shape and I plan to install them instead of the bench seat.
IMG_3668.jpg

I will be updating as I make some progress with the swap. Sofar I have removed the bench seat and am installing the bucket seat brackets I got from Mikes Montes.
IMG_3669.jpg IMG_3670.jpg

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Ok, so I got some more done these days. I received my bucket seat brackets from Mikes Montes and proceeded to install them on the floor panels. At first I was considering welding them directly on the floor panels like GM did on the past but after considering it decided going a different way and used Rivnuts and 6mm bolts.
So this is what they look like.

IMG_3693.jpg IMG_3694.jpg

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
After reading a few threads regarding FBody seats installed in El Caminos there were several threads stating that the center to center mounting distance was different between F and G bodies, there is a 3/4" difference, being the F Body the narrower one. So I fabricated these 1/4" steel steel adapters which allowed me to move the seats 3/4" inch inwards and used the 1/4" spacers on the other side track to compensate for the added thickness. I first tried mounting the seat without moving it inwards and the door armrest would hit the seat back after closing the door. So I guess this is a must if doing 4th gen F Body seats.
IMG_3683.jpg IMG_3685.jpg IMG_3687.jpg

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Well thanks for your comments Roger I really enjoy working on the car, and due to the actual lockdown have had some time to get it done. I decided to add a Blazer center console, upgrade my power window actuators and add a subwoofer to the audio system. Today I finally bolted everything in place and this is what it ended up looking like. I am really satisfied with the end result.

IMG_3789.jpg

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's funny.
When you first showed the seats my thought was they looked nice and in nice shape.
Now that I see them in the car with the console, they look AWESOME! Surprised me a little. I think that console might be the reason. It just fits and complements the seats so well.
There's some nice homemade consoles out there but OEM moulded consoles still look better no matter what IMO. Ricardo, you and I really think alike. I wish we lived closer.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I coincide Roger. After many years of tinkering with cars I have come to believe that the OEM stuff is always best. And that Blazer console really blends in with the interior. Here's a shot from another angle focusing on the front of the console. Although the console is graphite I am considering painting it satin black for a closer color match to my interior.
IMG_3787.jpg

81 - 97 of 97 Posts