El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished removing the old pump as much as a pain that was. From what I know I need to pry back the rod & put it on the lever of the new pump. I was wondering if I could hold the pump in place & spin the motor over to draw that rod back & shim the pump in place or is their a easier way to install it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I use a angled pick to push back the rod into the engine and found putting a little wheel bearing grease on the push rod in the engine gives enough tackiness that allows the pump to be installed without a lot of issues. On small block Chevy, there is a bolt you can pull out and use a longer bolt to hold the push rod, but use caution, I have also seen where they forget to pull out the longer bolt or put the shorter bolt back in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I did a little more digging & on the motor there is actually a cover plate of some sort it looks like & can remove that mount the pump to it & then install it from there. Ill have to get pictures at some point

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yea, the fuel pump cover comes off with two bolts at the bottom but I have never seen anyone try to install a pump like that. Best bet is either post #2 or #3 or a combination of both.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have turned the motor over by hand, with a large breaker bar and felt for the push rod inside the block to make sure it is retracted somewhat.
I have also used the hacksaw blade trick to hold the pushrod up.
I have heard some folks say to use longer mounting bolts to start the pump install and them put the original bolts back in one at a time once you start getting the pump pulled in.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have turned the motor over by hand, with a large breaker bar and felt for the push rod inside the block to make sure it is retracted somewhat.
I have also used the hacksaw blade trick to hold the pushrod up.
I have heard some folks say to use longer mounting bolts to start the pump install and them put the original bolts back in one at a time once you start getting the pump pulled in.
You can do the same thing with studs and nuts. Actually easier to slide the pump in and then remove one stud at a time. I did the longer bolt on the pushrod thing myself.
Tom

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
When the engine is on #1 TDC the pump rod is at its high point up in the engine. Pull the cap and bump it around until it lines up with # 1 cap location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts