El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

My 1983 was low on refrigerant and I got it charged. Now, finally, the compressor is turning on but it was squealing like a stuck pig. Turned off the motor and the clutch was smoking, so I'm assuming the clutch and/or compressor is shot, since the thing never got cold after a full charge.

What I would like to do is replace the entire system. This car is a long term project for me and if I replace a part, I'd like to replace the system to prevent another part breaking down further down the line. I know I could save money and just fix the broken parts, but with my luck that's going to cost me more later on anyways.

SO....can anyone help me put a list together of everything I should need to purchase in order to replace the system? I know the compressor, condenser, evaporator and accumulator, along with the lines...it's the rest of the system that I'm ignorant about.

I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
other than the switches that about sounds it up. pressure switches ,o rings and oil,new belt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In addition to the compressor, condenser, evaporator and accumulator, manifold hose assembly you mentioned.

orifice tube
new O-rings
pressure switch (if used)
gaskets for the where the evaporator lines exit the enclosure
new heater core
material to seal around the hose connections and the enclosure
material to seal the lid of the enclosure
compatible oil to be added when various parts of the system is installed
a/c flush to clean out any parts not replaced, like the high pressure line from the condensor to the accumulator

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Any suggestions/recommendations on who to buy from? I've found a few places, but not dealt with any of them yet.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You could check with Vintage Air (and there are a couple of others, at least one of which has an excellent reputation), and find out what it would cost for a complete replacement. You may well find it to be much more reasonable than trying to do it piecemeal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be looking into Vintage Air, and a few other places actually. I found the compressor brand new for $249 which I assume is one of the more expensive parts.

I probably just need the compressor, but with my luck, something else would give out as soon as I got it up and running again. So I'm looking to replace the entire system now to save headaches later.

·
Registered
230 Posts
a/c

personally I'm not going to jack around and end spending a grand replacing piece after piece and dealing with contaminates. I'm just gong with vintage air spending a grand and getting all new and getting rid of box under hood. Cleaner looking and doesn't relie on vacuum.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You got it all apart. One more little screw to replace a 30 year old part that don't cost much but makes a mess when it fails. As to where to get parts, when I replaced my AC a lot of my parts came from Rockauto.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've priced out most all of the new pieces for the system, including the switch, blower motor, resistor, etc, and it comes to just shy of $750 before shipping and taxes. Mostly AC/Delco OEM parts. Any thing I need to be wary of when getting it flushed and filled?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Thanks guys. Any suggestions/recommendations on who to buy from? I've found a few places, but not dealt with any of them yet.

I did my complete system under the hood and I got most of my stuff at WWW.AVANCEDAUTO.COM They always have free shipping and last week I bought some more parts got a 15% discount and a $50,00 gift card on next purchase of $100.00 so all you do is get what you need and make sure your at $101.00 at checkout put in your gift card bam$51.00 plus what ever discount their giving that day also. Only works if you get what you really want.
Here's how it worked for me and I only bought what I needed

Total two transactions $303.00 15% disc. + $50.00 and gift card -$96.00 =$207.00 WOW 32% SAVINGS AND FREE SHIPPING DO THE MATH:nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that info on Advance. I'll definitely look into that. I'll be buying pieces at a time, since the purse strings are a little snug, but I'll absolutely try your method there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts