El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on my way home from National Guard duty earlier today and I see sitting by the side of the road an 83 SS Choo Choo. I know it was a Choo because of the emblem on the dash and the nose conversion. Here's the thing... the guy wants $2500 for it and it is in rough shape on the inside. It looks complete for the most part but needs lots of work. I only has a little damage on the driver's side rear corner but I will have to totally re-do the interior. It has the 305/auto with ac, gauges w/o tach (clock), no power windows, locks or driver seat but it runs good and smooth and might be a good deal. Is it worth the $2500 or should I offer less? Not to knowledgeable on Choo Choos but it is for sure a project. What do you all think? Sorry, no pics as my phone was dead when I stopped.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
688 Posts
Sounds pretty rough, but it's hard to give an opinion on value without some pics. '83 was the first year for the Choo Choo, and it was also the lowest production number year at around 587 made.

Verify it's a real Choo Choo by inspecting the Re-Certification decal in the driver's door. If the re-cert decal is there, make sure it looks as old as the rest of the car to insure it's real...there is a company on Ebay who sells blank reproduction decals. Im sure this company's intention was to offer the reproductions for restorations, but Im sure there are some people out there who use them to pass a clone off as the real thing. If it's real, Ill always encourage someone to restore a Choo Choo and get it back on the road

·
Registered
1 Posts
83 choo choo

bought one yesterday in muskogee oklahoma usa. It was a two owner but has no deal on door. Its an SS and has never been painted but sure needs it. Has a Poly nose instead of fiberglass repro and the choo choo emblem with ccc on passenger dash. Insides glean but a bit sun faded. 103xx mi. on the 305. It does have electric windows and ss interior package. He wanted 2400 I offered 1800 and he took it. Its a good driver but flat spots on tires that i will change this week. It never hurts to offer. Have cash when you do, it helps. I have an 80 conqista also that I just got a month ago. I am an old guy just getting back into a little wrenching and this sites invaluable. Good luck. POW/MIA Never Forgotten

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
gjwilson84, here is what you are looking for.

This decal is located on the drivers side door jamb(body). If the EC doesn't have it, see if the build sheet, or dealership delivery invoice is available.

Don't not rely on the little train logo on the dash, hood scoop, exhaust shields or even the nose, as all are available in the aftermarket. That's exactly how I built my clone.

As for production numbers, I have never believed the ones put out by Choo Choo Customs. Here is one reason why. I have a pic of decal #023, and that CCC was built in January 1984. So there were 22 units built ahead of it. I have documents of two 1983 CCC's. So were the other 20 units '83's or '84's. I don't know yet, but I still looking.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

If it is indeed an '83, its rare. 84

1 - 6 of 6 Posts