El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have started work on the drive train of my 1983 el camino specifically the 229 v6 I haven't been able to get the idle to kick down in any park or neutral. It only drops down while in reverse and drive gears. I replaced the egr valve and am looking for some other plan of attack. If anyone could lend a hand it would be much appreciated. Feel free to ask for any other info if it would help you help me.

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
Hi Nos Taco, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Hope you will meet members in your area and make friends. It might be the idle adjustment on the carburetor. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 83. Have fun with your 83 and the community.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I don't have any pictures of my elky on hand. Ill get a intro post up later today regardless ill look into the idle screw. Not sure if that would be it though it high idles hot and cold but only in park and neutral. It does drop down in drive ill do some more poking around later today and get back to the thread.

·
Deputy Director Region 8
2,753 Posts
Welcome NosTaco, sounds like a vaccum leak possibly,, take a can of carb cleaner with the air cleaner off and with the engine running squirt the cleaner around the base of the carb and any vaccum lines. What you are looking for is a drop in the engine RPMs the vaccum leak will draw the carb cleaner in and the engine make if sputter.
Like 78Elk stated check the idle screw 🪛 if you dont have any vaccum leaks. If you remove any rubber vaccum lines when you pull the air cleaner, plug them off so you don't get a false reading.
This being a 83 it should be a computer control carb, could be a air idle control valve if I recall correctly. Can't recall exactly what the computer controls on these carbs, post some pics when you can, by the way do you have the RPMs are running at idle, 900 rpm or so?
Matty man

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
201 Posts
Welcome NosTaco, sounds like a vaccum leak possibly,, take a can of carb cleaner with the air cleaner off and with the engine running squirt the cleaner around the base of the carb and any vaccum lines. What you are looking for is a drop in the engine RPMs the vaccum leak will draw the carb cleaner in and the engine make if sputter.
Like 78Elk stated check the idle screw 🪛 if you dont have any vaccum leaks. If you remove any rubber vaccum lines when you pull the air cleaner, plug them off so you don't get a false reading.
This being a 83 it should be a computer control carb, could be a air idle control valve if I recall correctly. Can't recall exactly what the computer controls on these carbs, post some pics when you can, by the way do you have the RPMs are running at idle, 900 rpm or so?
Matty man
I agree with Matty man. Sounds like a vacuum leak, a throttle linkage binding issue or the IAC valve malfunctioning. Or a combo of any and all...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the slow reply I have some unexpected sheet metal work that came up Ill post a update when I can start tweaking on the engine again. Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I started some work on the engine itself and made a weird discovery, its random, sometimes the idle will start and drop down sometimes it won't. However the most consistent thing that affects it is giving a quick hard press of the gas. At this point im very suspect of just a old gunked up carb. Ill be honest I don't have much experience with carbs so I don't wanna say anything for sure but when I bought my car it hadn't run for 20+ years and he had parked it with corn gas. So im leaning toward just a tired carb.

·
Deputy National Director
9,850 Posts
I would send carb to Mountain Man fuel system for complete rebuild, It will be like new

1 - 10 of 10 Posts