El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this El Camino and it starts and runs fine, but when started the engine idle is very high. When I kick it down to low idle the engine knocks, but it doesn't knock at all at a high idle. I was told it was a rod, but it should knock at all times, not just at a high idle. I've also heard it could be a cracked flywheel? I'm not sure and I'd rather figure it out and save myself from buying a new engine altogether.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I have this El Camino and it starts and runs fine, but when started the engine idle is very high. When I kick it down to low idle the engine knocks, but it doesn't knock at all at a high idle. I was told it was a rod, but it should knock at all times, not just at a high idle. I've also heard it could be a cracked flywheel? I'm not sure and I'd rather figure it out and save myself from buying a new engine altogether.
First of all, welcome from Texas. I recently had a similar problem, and was told it could've been anything from headers not being bolted on tight enough, cracked flex plate, timing off, and just about a million other possibilities. Mine ended up being a spun rod bearing. It would start just fine, idle fine, and I'd hear a clattering noise when I would rev it up. Then, within days it would start clattering at random times, sometimes at idle sometimes not...it was very random. Good luck with figuring out what is causing your issue. I'm sure you'll get a lot of help from everyone here.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Yes check your flex plate bolts (Flywheel) if its cracked,you can put it in fowardwith foot on brake .and than reverse, the sound should change,lift it up if its cracked you should be able to see where it mounts to the crank .:texas: And Welcome ! On a second note , when you hear it knocking let it run and pull one wire loose at a time( one at a time and than put it back on before removing next one ) see if the knock goes away and what plug wire you pulled off when the noise left . there are several ways to check,just 2 here for now !

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you have the buick v6 (dist up front )they have a weak oiling system and will show up a rod knock at idle,then quiet down when you give it a little more rpm as the pump puts out more oil pressure. if this is the case it is just a matter of time before it fails and you may loose the engine. a broken flywheel will usually quiet down or change sound when you put it in gear. an exhaust leak will usually follow the engine rpm. pull the plug wires one by one and try to isolate the cylender making the noise. when you take away the fire the knock will usually go away if not too bad already.. another thing the v6 wether chevy or buick dont idle smooth and if the engine mounts are too worn they will let the engine shake around and possibly be strikeing something giveing you a knocking/banging sound.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Welcome Fred!! Where are located?? I am in central Ohio, If you are near by let me know I can swing by and help ya,, Matty man and stand by for another meet & greet in central Ohio as well,, hope ya can come!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts