El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The El Camino in the below link just sold online and was serial number 001 of the 120 Choo Choo El Caminos used in the 1984 'St Louis Dealers El Camino SS Drive away' event.

In 1984 Chevrolet held a 'St Louis Dealers El Camino SS Drive away' event where 120 brand new 1984 Choo Choo Customs El Caminos were personally picked up by Chevrolet dealers. It was a pretty big event as Chevrolet flew all of the 120 dealers into Chattanooga, TN to take dealery of the new Choo Choo Customs edition El Caminos. This was done to create excitement for the new Choo Choo El Caminos. The 120 Choo Choo El Caminos that were part of this event were distinguished by a special tailgate decal and an identifying 'STL' number on the Choo Choo re-certification decal in the door jam. The El Camino in the below link is one of those 'St Louis Drive Away' El Caminos. But, look at the pic of the re-certification decal...it reads STL-001. This was the first one made. It sold for a mere $8,500. Hopefully the new owner joins this site.

For sale ad: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...CHEV&searchRadius=0&listingId=319932522&Log=0

Iroc-s.com 'Drive Away' video link: http://iroc-s.com/Videos and Captures.htm

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Wow!!! only $8500.00
It feels like it lowers the value of our El Caminos!!
Someone got a (steal of a deal!!)
Donny

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Buyer definetely got a good deal on this one. The vehicle itself is worth more than $8,500...then you add the fact that it's documented to be #001 of the 120 Elkys used in the driveaway event and you have to call it a bargain. My opinion, the buyer paid around $5,000 under value.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Why would you tip off a seller to how rare something is? Makes no sense! Unless you're insecure that the value of these hasn't taken off and you're trying to see that they do.
How many enthusiasts stumble on that barn find or that estate sale and find something truly valuable for a song? If you were buying this car, would tell the owner you want to pay more? Why screw it up for someone else?:dontknow:

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would you tip off a seller to how rare something is? Makes no sense! Unless you're insecure that the value of these hasn't taken off and you're trying to see that they do.
How many enthusiasts stumble on that barn find or that estate sale and find something truly valuable for a song? If you were buying this car, would tell the owner you want to pay more? Why screw it up for someone else?:dontknow:
I gave no such information. Was that a general question, or did you think I informed the seller?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
No I meant "you" collectively not personally. Should have said "someone".

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoever informed the seller referenced a thread I posted on ECC, so Im assuming they're a member here. But it wasn't me. I was very fortunate to buy my pace car way under value because the seller didn't know what it really was, so I would not want to prevent someone else from doing the same. :poke:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Very nice car and probably worth every penny of the buy it now price but.....

The ad says the back of the bed is very nice original paint, what does the front of the bed look like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts