El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a big problem on my hands. Maybe some one out there can help me find the answer to my question. "Can I fit an 1982 El Camino ECU Wire Harness, on an 1984 El Camino?" I am restoring my El Camino, I painted the engine. Noticed how beat up my ECU Wire Harness is.

The problem is that I have found that most place that sell reproduce parts. For example, OPG Parts Group, do not sell the ECU Wire Harness for an 1984. They only sell the wire harnesses for just any harness from 1979 thru 1982.

I have tried other like American Wire and another place similar here in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Same issue, nothing available beyond 1982. However, we all know that El Camino range all the way to 1987. Very strange to me.

Finally, I was able to find an ECU Wire Harness that was in great condition. However, it was from an 1985 El Camino. When I compared the colors and pinouts, they do not match. There are some slight differences. So, my question again is: Can I use a 1982 or 1985 ECU Wire Harness on a 1984 El Camino? I am afriad that installing an ECU Wire harness from another year can lead to other problems. Any info would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have not been able to find a wire harness for the El Camino. Can anyone tell me if I can use a wire harness from a 85 El Camino with an 84 El Camino ECU? Or, a 82 Wire Harness with a 84 ECU? OPG Parts sells new 82 wire harnesses..

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
I think I have a complete 84 wire harness, will check later

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't answer your questions regarding different year ECU harnesses, but I have one from my 1984 El Camino 305 V8 if you are interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts