El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 El Camino and came with a stock 3.8l 229 v6 that i got rid of. I just recently found a 1984 buick grand national 3.8l turbo for sale and could really use some advice on things i would need to get to make it work such as transmission or engine mounts and ect. thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hand full of changes

Last time I looked, the motor mounts and front x-member will have to be changed / modified. Transmission change also, unless the Trans. experts know of an adapter,.. And some AC hose connections will need re-routing. Why go to another 6cyl,.. the turbo perhaps? Why not do a V-8 , Buick to Camino Drive Train is a hand full of changes. - George :smileyb:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you already had a 3.8 the mounts should be the same, the gn motors used a 200r4 and a bigger rear end. hopefully it comes with all of the periferals. or you will spend a lot of money buying it all. you will need all of the electronics,intercooler,pipeing,intercooler fan,the fuel tank and sender,all of the fuel lines.the gn also used an odd brake booster because they didnt make good vacuum at times. hopefully you have access to the car to get all of the parts and wireing

·
Registered
358 Posts
Same motor mounts?

if you already had a 3.8 the mounts should be the same, the gn motors used a 200r4 and a bigger rear end. hopefully it comes with all of the periferals. or you will spend a lot of money buying it all. you will need all of the electronics,intercooler,pipeing,intercooler fan,the fuel tank and sender,all of the fuel lines.the gn also used an odd brake booster because they didnt make good vacuum at times. hopefully you have access to the car to get all of the parts and wireing
Hey Carl, In '84 Buick & Chevy. had the same motor mounts in the 3.8L? Thought that the Buick Grand Nat'l. was a larger wheel base and different chassis mountings. No? - George

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess i was going to do it because it sounded like a cool project but it sounds like i need a lot more parts than i thought

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Buick and Chevy 3.8's had different motor mounts, overall completely different engines. El Caminos have a longer wheel base than the Regal/GN's. Honestly I wouldn't bother with a hotair 3.8L turbo unless you are going to covert it over to a intercooled setup.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The frames on the g bodies are built the same, just some have longer wheel bases, putting a 3.8 and 200R4 in an Elco is pretty much bolt in.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i havent seen any of the chevy 3.8 in the later elcos. not past 80. i could be wrong on this just not seen one. i have even seen an 84 with a 4.1 v6 buick ,q jet and all. i dont think they did well in ca. emissions wise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there any website that talks about doing this i know its a long shot but think it would be one of a kind

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have seen a couple posters here doing this swap,a great convert if you can get all of the pieces and make it all work correctly the gn was 1 sec faster in the qrtr than the corvette those years.try looking in old post or at malibu raceings web site. anything that will go in a malibu will work in an elco.basically the same chasis

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it sounds like a lot of work but the pay off looks amazing! did you have to get a buick rear end?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wish i could do that but im only 17 and don't have much time to do all that work maybe after college
thanks for all of your advice guys :You_Rock:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Iv got a bit of advice for ya. Im 20, workin part time, and also (of course) have an El Camino with big plans. One think Iv learned over the years is dream in one hand and... you know the rest lol.

Everyone has bigger plans for their El Camino, including you and me. I read a poster the other day that said "Speed Cost Money, How Much Do Ya Wanna Spend?" Its dead on lol. My El Camino has had a 454 waiting on it for 3 years now and guess what? I just pulled it out from behind all the rubble in my garage lol. Still a bare block. What Im getting to in all this rambling is start small. Do some of the cheaper projects you wanna do, such as swap over to buckets or do some interior work. Slap some true duals on it. Get ready for a bigger engine by buying some of the small parts now like motor mounts, tranny mounts/crossmember, a different rear end, etc. Then when your outta college, working full time and rollin in the big bucks, then you can start working on that turbo 3.8, or 383 stroker, or 454 big block, whatever your taste is! Just dont run yourself in the hole and buy a thousand dollar engine to later figure out its gonna cost more to install it than buy it. Dream big, but as big as your wallet is :beer:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
You didn't say if you have a trans now. If you go with a 200r4 it has the different bolt holes for chev buick, pont and olds the crossmember would need to be changed with possibly a frame extension (my 84 needed it) the Elky driveshaft worked with no other mods needed. You may have to check on where the motor mounts are to be in the range of the drive shaft yoke.

·
Registered
74 Posts
is there any website that talks about doing this i know its a long shot but think it would be one of a kind

There is a member of this site http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ who has done the Buick Turbo Regal drivetrain into a G-body El Camino. Unfortunately I don't know the members name any longer.

The Turbo Regal engine would be a good swap, but the engine requires a lot in supporting equipment. Such as an ECM, baffled fuel tank with an internal pump capable of feeding the engine, mounting of an Intercooler, etc. It should all bolt in more or less, but it will not be the easiest swap out there say as compared to bolting in a 350/383.

~JM~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts