El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to re-gear my stock GM 10-Bolt and was wondering how I determine the size of my rear end, and what size ring and pinion to get. Any help?

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
check some of the rear end sites and match up the gasket with your cover..
if its all stock? you probly have a 7.5" with 2.40 to 2.73 gears,,with a 2 series carrier..

for 3.73s youll need the thick gears for a 2 series carrier or
a 3 series carrier with normal 373 gears..
and the swap does take some special tools and has to be setup right for it to last..:texas:
try a search,youll get lots of hits..

·
Supporting Member
4,550 Posts
To expand on what JJ is saying- ring gears are mounted to a carrier. for the lower ratios ( up to 3.08 ), a series 2 carrier was used. For 3.23 and above, a series 3 carrier was used. You can use gears in a series 2 carrier, like 3.23, 3.42 or 3.73- but only if they are special "Thick" gears. If you want a ratio from 3.23 up, and don't want to buy the thick gears, then you will need to swap the carrier. You most likely have a series 2 carrier.

Elky's came stock with 7.5 rear ends. If you have a 3 speed trans ( most likely), then 3.42 is about as high as you want to go. Any steeper ( like 3.73) and your highway RPM's will be well over 3000.

Easiest swap is to find a rear from a 78-87 MonteCarlo SS. They came with 3.42 from the factory up until 86, then switched to 3.73. They would be a direct bolt in. Much easier and cheaper than trying to change the gear ratios of your stock rear.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's a pic for reference of what the 8.5 rear looks like. The 2 "ears" on the bottom of the housing are larger and more squared off on a 8.5" rear out of a g-body. But as mentioned above, the 8.5" rear isn't stock equipment on our cars, I added this out of a Grand National. I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a newbie I have a 1993 GMC Caballero my car will not go into gear they says my rear axel needs to be rebuilt. Would it be easier to try to rebuild it or just go get a whole axle help

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
You gotta' give us at least a little time. Does your drive shaft simply spin with no movement of the vehicle? Could this be a transmission problem? "Not going into gear" usually means a transmission problem, not something in the rear end.

Rick

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Dave-4elcamion You say you have a 1993 GMC Caballero. What does it look like? I've never heard of a 1993 GMC Caballero. Michael in South Boston, Va:eek2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm a newbie I have a 1993 GMC Caballero my car will not go into gear they says my rear axel needs to be rebuilt. Would it be easier to try to rebuild it or just go get a whole axle help

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Nice thread hijack bub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts