El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to hold my column shift lever up to turn of the ignition, and it is a little sloppy going into reverse or drive. Is there any place with a good comprehensive diagrams of the linkage and parts connected to it. I have an GM shop manual on disc, and it doesn't have a good listing. i know it's probaly simple, I just can't find a diagram.Thanks for all of your help. Todd Gunter

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,781 Posts
My shift linkage was loose too & I noticed that the rubber bushings was missing from the shift selector bracket on the tranny. Put new bushings in & it tightened up the linkage some !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Loose shift linkage

My '84 had the same issue. I took it out to a buddies machine shop and he turned down a piece of high density UHMW plastic and made a sleeve for the end of the linkage where it goes through the bracket on the tranny and that solved my problem. No more slop and it shifts smooth and stays in gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In the bracket, number 6 in the diagram is where a lot of the slop in the shifter was on my 84 el camino. Mine was missing the bushings, which aren't on the diagram.

This a link for the bushings...
http://www.dixierestorationdepot.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=DM00413&d=1090&p=1

Also, there is a teflon like bushing ( number 10 in the diagram) that wears down over time.

This is the link for that bushing... http://www.dixierestorationdepot.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=DM00199&d=1090&p=1

On mine I also have a problem with the shift lever not returning to it's original position, because one day the spring in the column that holds the lever away from the wheel ( pulls it closer to the dash when not shifting through the gears) , broke. I still have yet to replace that spring, but apparently they do wear out and break eventually.

Your problem with a sagging lever has to do with the bushings. It is a fairly simple fix, but kind of pricy. In all, it is worth the money for the parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts