El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a new member, always love the el camino chat and hope to add some help where I can
I have a broken RHS inner fender, ordered some reproduction replacements. Apart from there being no mounting holes pre drilled in them, they also look to be a challenge to fit them. Anyone purchased some excellent reproductions that are a nice fit and have pre drilled mounting holes? If so where from?, If not, should I just hunt for a good second hand one?
Thanks to anyone that can help.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I can’t answer your question specifically, but originals are almost always better than repros.(You know original parts fit; they came off a car!) I can’t imagine them being too hard to find.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
7,861 Posts
Hi rocketama, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us.
I can’t answer your question specifically, but originals are almost always better than repros.(You know original parts fit; they came off a car!) I can’t imagine them being too hard to find.
Patrick
X2 the used will be the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patrick
Thanks Patrick I agree, I had quite a number of failures with repro's in the past, not sure why they even sell stuff that does not work or fit correctly. NOS always best, but inner fenders, that wont happen. Any recomended 80's El camino dismantlers you can recommend?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi rocketama, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us.

X2 the used will be the best.
Loving my El Camino mate, I am in New Zealand and the whole country just went into lockdown for a month or so last week. I lucky I pulled everything out from the firewall forward, recond it all, so now i can spend weeks in my garage putting it back together, isolation garage therapy
I had quite a number of failures with repro's in the past, not sure why they even sell stuff that does not work or fit correctly. NOS always best, but inner fenders, that wont happen. Any recomended 80's El camino dismantlers you can recommend? My RHS passenger one was smashed at the bottom throwing everything into the door hinges.
Take care up there.
Justin

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a NEW NOS one in my shop. According to this site, it is RHS. Pictures included. It's a little dusty, as it's been hanging in my shop since September of 2001.Please PM me if you have any interest. I am in the middle of Michigan, USA 48884, so getting it to you could be an issue.

THANK YOU, for your time, and consideration !
Kindest Regards
Brian Kissel

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
justin someone was selling Elcamino stuff in petrolhead a few months back....send me a pm with your nz contact and I'll txt you a pic of the advert....have tried uploading here but it keeps bouncing...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
:geek: Welcome Justin, Glad you found us.
Have fun and enjoy NECOA. From what I
can ready I'm guessing you have a gen. 5 Elky.
from 1979 to 1982 they had single head lights
then in 1983 to 1987 they had the 4 head lights,
those fenders are different. That maybe your missing
holes. Just guessing.
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio.. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Nick and Don, always great talking to people with the same interests. Had my 84 for 5 years now, new she was a bit tired when I got her, was down on power, plugs fouled plugs constantly. Pulled apart the Engine and it had one cracked head. She all all minted up now to original factory specs, so I am keen to see how the little reborn 305 goes.
Yes you correct, mine is the last shape, twin headlights. Re the fender, they seem to have reproduced them, but not very well. I restore my cars to factor and have a sharp eye for detail, they repro fenders are not very good, too stiff, outer edges not close to originals. And the come with no mounting holes drilled, so you have to measure off your original, which may not work as the repros will not be identical to the originals, and so the holes will more than likely be off when fitting. Fitting then drilling would also have a similar result. Aaaargh!!! the joys of buying some repro stuff.
Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with the plastic inner fenders.
Looking on the back side there was
markings where the holes should be.
A little bit of work to fit but, in place.
Purchased a LS 3 crate motor .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Grace I did look at that and saw some marks in the mould that would have helped in the hole drilling process.
I am still after an orig one, and waiting for one of the guys who responded about his one he offered up, but he seems to have gone silent, possibly because of the world bug going on and he may have taken off for a bit.
thanks again for your help
Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the original inter fenders which
are fair shape and you can have at N/C. Just pay for shipping?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much Grace for your help.
My LHS is original and in good shape after a nice clean, no cracks.
How is your fair shape one you mentioned? any cracks/ splits? What year El Camino is it off?
Kindest regards
Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with the plastic inner fenders.
Looking on the back side there was
markings where the holes should be.
A little bit of work to fit but, in place.
Purchased a LS 3 crate motor .
Thanks so much Grace for your help.
My LHS is original and in good shape after a nice clean, no cracks.
How is your fair shape one you mentioned? any cracks/ splits? What year El Camino is it off?
Kindest regards
Justin
Justin,
84 ElCamino.
No cracks or splits.
Are you just looking for the pass side?
Both sides are available .
The price is right.
Jim Grace

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a NEW NOS one in my shop. According to this site, it is RHS. Pictures included. It's a little dusty, as it's been hanging in my shop since September of 2001.Please PM me if you have any interest. I am in the middle of Michigan, USA 48884, so getting it to you could be an issue.

THANK YOU, for your time, and consideration !
Kindest Regards
Brian Kissel View attachment 128442 View attachment 128443 View attachment 128444
Justin,
84 ElCamino.
No cracks or splits.
Are you just looking for the pass side?
Both sides are available .
The price is right.
Jim Grace
Good morning Jim
Thankyou so much, yes I am after the passenger side.
I am only too happy to pay for freight and I have no problem with you charging for it as there is your time spent packing and shipping. If it is easier to ship just one, I will just take the passenger side, if you would rather keep them together, I will take the other one too.
Let me know the cost and how I can pay you, I have Paypal.
The address would be as follows.
CFR/ AMERICAN BOATS
15501 TEXACO AVE
PARAMOUNT
CALIFORNIA 90723

Justin Cardon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Justin,
I will ship out the 1st of next week
via UPS. I will let you know what the