El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right place to post this, as i am new here. (Actually, this is my first post...how lucky!) Anyway, I have a 1984 El Camino that i recently bought. I just got a new exhaust system put in (muffler, all new piping, y pipe, donut gasket, cat converter repairs, and driver's side maifold fixed.) It ran soooo much better than before, smoother, quieter, just awesome. So i decided to take it for a drive on the highway. Not even 5 miles after leaving the city limits, i turn the radio on. I plugged in my ipod, and that's when i heard a loud pop/bang sound. Idk if it was from the radio or outside, but it basically sounded like the car backfired. Then evrything died immediatly (all lights went out and radio died, etc) and i had to coast to the side of the road. I turned the car off, popped the hood, but could see nothing immediatly wrong, so i tried to start it. Nothing, it won't even turn over. I have power to only a few systems inside (idiot light sounds, headlights, dash clock) but that's all, not even the hazards work now. Any suggestions as to what this could be? Or how to fix it? Thank You!!

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
I hope this is the right place to post this, as i am new here. (Actually, this is my first post...how lucky!) Anyway, I have a 1984 El Camino that i recently bought. I just got a new exhaust system put in (muffler, all new piping, y pipe, donut gasket, cat converter repairs, and driver's side maifold fixed.) It ran soooo much better than before, smoother, quieter, just awesome. So i decided to take it for a drive on the highway. Not even 5 miles after leaving the city limits, i turn the radio on. I plugged in my ipod, and that's when i heard a loud pop/bang sound. Idk if it was from the radio or outside, but it basically sounded like the car backfired. Then evrything died immediatly (all lights went out and radio died, etc) and i had to coast to the side of the road. I turned the car off, popped the hood, but could see nothing immediatly wrong, so i tried to start it. Nothing, it won't even turn over. I have power to only a few systems inside (idiot light sounds, headlights, dash clock) but that's all, not even the hazards work now. Any suggestions as to what this could be? Or how to fix it? Thank You!!

Check all your fuses and the battery cables to ground and the starter. The starter is by the exhaust and maybe something is shorting out from the installation of the new exhaust system.. Check all grounds under the hood. Dist. coil or control module behind the dist. cap???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys! I checked the battery terminals, and the red one is split, but is still making contact and getting power as i checked it with volt meter. I'm off to check what you've suggested, and I'll keep you posted!

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
You probably blew a fusible link. Look up that term here for messages on that subject.

How can you tell if the fusible link is blown.? Does it burn through the plastic insolation?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Definitely sounds electrical. Make sure all your wires are clean, have your battery and alternator tested (autozone should be able to do both of these for free) and check all your fuses and try swapping any fusible links you can find.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've read that a good basic test is to try tugging gently at each end of the fusible link, if it gives, it's probably blown.

·
Supporting Member
4,677 Posts
A great mod is to move those Fusible links from down at the starter up to somewhere where a normal person can get to them:let_it_all_out: I use the ones that are replaceable ( like big fuses) and visibly show when they are blown.

The ones at the starter should be inside a metal tube, which makes it even harder to see if they are bad. One of the reasons the tube is there is to help to prevent fire from spreading if one of them goes bad in a hurry. Unfortunately, it also provides a very convenient place for them to short out.

If you head lights / tail lights work, but pretty much nothing else, then it is very likely one of the two Fusible links blew. One provides power to the Head/Tail lights, the other pretty much the rest of the car.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Thanks for your help guys! I'm pretty sure it's the fusible link by the starter. Now I'm just waiting for my next day off to fix it. Just wish they wouldn't have put them in such an awkward place :/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Take the inner fender well off it's easy and you have full access otherwise your going to be fighting it a lot longer then doing it this way. And you can see!!!!!!!

You can dice it and slice it from here without taking the starter off or going underneath the truck it's right below the yellow light to the right you have plenty of access for your hands.!!! Let's say better access all around . You can change your plugs if needed at the same time and check your break pads.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Thanks HKDUP87! I'm gonna put it in the garage and start tomorrow. I doesn't look too hard to remove the fender, and in the picture, it seemed to free up a lot of space. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

All you do is take out the battery and battery tray and the overflow bottle and the sensor bracket on top if there's one then take all the bolts off inside the fender well underneath. You will see the plastic well slips under a piece of metal where the battery tray sits so as you move it out from there you can slide the well out at an angle. It takes me about ten min. with the impact wrench and that includes taking off the tire.. Also I don't remember but there maybe one bolt under the battery tray inside the engine compartment not underneath????

Changing the fuse link this way you will be a lot happier but the only way you can really tell is try the other way on your back with dirt falling in your eyes and mouth..

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
and the red one is split, ... This sounds important and should be replaced, new battery cables are inexpensive.
I plugged in my ipod, and that's when i heard a loud pop/bang sound. ... Now you know how it reacts with Chinese plastic parts, use the Elvis 8-track tape to avoid this rejection.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
and the red one is split, ... This sounds important and should be replaced, new battery cables are inexpensive.
I plugged in my ipod, and that's when i heard a loud pop/bang sound. ... Now you know how it reacts with Chinese plastic parts, use the Elvis 8-track tape to avoid this rejection.
Maybe it just doesn't like apple products. I'm sure theres a good linux based mp3 player out there some where....(people still have ipods?!) :lildevil:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Here is a fuseable link behind the brake booster close to the fuse box

This one is just off the starter and goes up into a heat shield tube. You can see all the sheathing on it had melted off and it would short out when I tired to start the truck. I pulled on it and it rained sparks down on me.

One of the first things I had to fix when I got my elky
Top of picture leads to starter and bottom leads to read of engine where the heat tube is.
I think HKDUP may be right, the new exhaust may be touching the wire and melted off the sheathing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would check all the connections first before jumping to replacing the fusible link(s). Had a similar issue and it was a connection/ground issue and not the fusible links as I learned after going through the ordeal of changing them. Check to see if a wire came in contact with the exhaust. I would make fusible links the last resort.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
I'd check the fuses inside the truck also you may have blown one.

Also that link has some broken wires if you just tape it up the other strains will get hotter the have to carry the load. You already have the access do it right and then no more worries. Tape comes undone and heat is worse!!!!!

Believe me doing it right the first time is the only way!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.