El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning the restoration of my 1985 El Camino, this will be the 3rd time since I owned it. I'm looking for the drip rail forward pieces, I got a couple of sets that may be salvageable. I set has rounded (smooth curve) corners that I prefer, but the ones on it presently have the angled curve as does one of my old sets. One of this set has some damage and don't know if it is repairable? Does anyone know which model the smooth ones were installed on? Without taking one off I don't know if these will fit. Look similar but there is some difference? Has the the design of the from windshield posts changed from the 78 thru the 87? I don't know of any but there's a lot I don't know about.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Maybe the other style is for vinyl tops? Early fifth gens had a vinyl top option and that might have meant they sealed and routed water differently?
Patrick

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,711 Posts
here is what the parts book says
look at section 12.075
Look like there is a couple different ones but hard to understand the codes
I do remember something different when I ordered a complete set of chrome parts for my 87
Looks like I need to buy a better camera instead of using my phone camera ! LOL

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Looks like vinyl top got something different; I think. I’ll squint at a parts book in a day or two. I tried to squint at the pic but my eyes are too tired.
Patrick

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I stand corrected. The vinyl top references appear to be for the trim at the back or bottom of the vinyl top. It looks like some time in ‘85 the design of the ‘scalp molding’ changed from a one piece early style (no little joint connector, just the A-pillar piece mated to the roof scalp) to the ‘85-‘87 style that has the ‘butt connector with joint plate’ like mine has.
Patrick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts