El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new dash installed and now the temperature gage , oil, volts anf fuel gages are not correct. Could it be a ground problem with G118? Wher is G118 located?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
There is a ground right above the E-brake handle ! :dontknow:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I did fiind the ground above the emergency brake. It was tight. That was not the problem.
It seems that the fuel, amp and temperature gage is working but the oil pressure pegs out at >60 psi even with the sensor wire unplugged and the engin ot running.. Any idea why the oil pressure is gage is not functioning?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Maybe a bad oil pressure sender unit or the oil pressure switch ? :dontknow:
Maybe the wire came off the oil pressure switch ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the sending uint that was located next to the distributor out of thre car. I'll get a new one Wednesday, I plan to dual port it and install a mechanical gauge with poly tube as back up. I really do want ro get the afctory gauge working. I just ordered a new replacement gauge from the El Camino Store.

I have traced the brown wire (#31) that attaches to the sending unit and ther is 12 volts on it. I currently have the clustor our and did not see any obvious connections issues in the dash.

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts
The sensor by the distributor is actually a switch for the Choke, Choke light and Oil Pressure light. The sender for the Oil Pressure gauge is usually just above the oil filter on the drivers side of the block.
It is possible that the Oil Pressure sender unit has been moved up by the distributor- some folks do that when installing headers for clearance. Usually when this is done, they put in a "tee" for both the switch and sender.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update...

The pressure sensor that tires to the dash gage is located by the oil filter. The sensor near the distributor is for the pressure light and choke.

I replaced the orginal 305 with a 350 crate engine. The port for oil pressure sensor at the oli filter had a plug. I had to remove it and install a port extension that would accept the sending unit. I found the wire in the harness that connects on the unit, plugged it in and wa la...the gage went to zero and now reads pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts