El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 elcamino with a 4.3 fuel injection has been running really rough at idle and hesitating slightly whenever at operating temperature. Any ideas?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Or had the injectors cleaned? At that age this is just a question (as I'm not used to that old of a throttle body) could the throttle shaft be worn out and sucking air in because of it? I know if you have that happen with a carb from age you'll get both of those symptoms.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the components you named were replaced. Could a catalytic converter creating to much backpressure cause those same problems? Because its only when its at operating temp

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Or had the injectors cleaned? At that age this is just a question (as I'm not used to that old of a throttle body) could the throttle shaft be worn out and sucking air in because of it? I know if you have that happen with a carb from age you'll get both of those symptoms.
X2

I dont think your exhaust system is causing your problem. This issue is most likely related to fuel delivery. A hesistation or miss at acceleration is caused by a lack of fuel, too lean, most of the time.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Check your voltage at the throttle position sensor could be needed a slight adjustment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts