El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of these door edge guards?

Thanks
Robby85

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Latching on to this old post.

My recently found build sheet shows B93 door edge guards, but they're not on the truck when I bought it. I'd like to put some on after painting.

So the 4-dr and station wagon front door edge guards from 78-83 Malibu (3083518/9) fit, but they are different part numbers than El Camino and Malibu 2-dr door edge guards (20060935/6). Anybody know what's the difference? The 3083518/9 ones that I have are 22.5" (measured along the curve). How long are the original ones installed on 78-87 El Caminos?

Picture as response to the original post shows the front door ones I bought 25 years ago for my 82 Malibu 4-dr.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
Doors on four door cars and wagons are ‘concave’ on the trailing edge whereas coupes and Caminos they’re convex. You can probably bend an edge guard the opposite way but the factory didn’t do that.
Patrick

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
I wouldn't trust that ebay auction, Body style 37 corresponds to Monte Carlo, despite what the title says. Not saying they won't fit, because I'm not familiar with Monte Carlo door lines, but it's the wrong application. None of my GM literature shows a door edge guard kit for the 19/27/80 body style, only the 4-pack (995694) for G35 station wagon and G69 4-dr.

Patrick - I'm not understanding the concave/convex issue. Those two mldgs pictured above fit my 84 El Camino without bending.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
By concave/convex I mean this; look at your photo, and see how the edge curves forward at the top. The main edge is straight, but up top it curves forward, lije a convex lens. (I don’t have door edge guards and thought, when I posted, that the guard would be taller and follow that curve). The edge of the sedan and wagon door, however, isn’t straight, it’s a concave curve similar to the door to front fender curve. On some four door cars, like a mid 70s Impala, it’s more pronounced than others (depending upon the curve of the body). As an aside, I had an ‘05 GTO and hated the fact that it looked like a sedan door because it curved the ‘wrong’ way.
Patrick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts