El Camino Central Forum banner

1985 Switch From Dash Clock to Tach

19K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  G-boz 
#1 ·
I've got a 5th Gen 1985 (5.0L 305 V8) with all the stock gauges in it working perfectly... except for the clock. And honestly, I'm ok with that, my goal here is not to fix the clock, but to replace it with a tachometer. I was wondering if somewhere out there was a tach that looked like the other gauges (same fonts and everything) that would fit right where my clock is now. Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
#8 ·
Thank You!

Thanks for all the help everybody. I've found a tach out of an SS Monte Carlo that looks exactly like i need it to. It goes up to 8k and redlines at about 5500. Im thinking this will work with the V8? Ive seen that theres been some issues with people trying to get v6 tachs to work with a v8.

#14 ·
You'll need to find the proper tach bracket for the gauge pod...

it has the cutout for the clock workings to go through on the 78-85 tachs...

the white housing is the clock workings on this tach..

the clock bracket will won't work...unless heavily modified.

you will have to remove the cluster from the dash to access the back side and change out the brackets. I can't be certain but I believe if you have the full gauges with clock..you should be able to just swap the tach and bracket for the clock and use the existing printed circuit..

you may also need to add the white wire with tach filter for the tach. White wire is in location #17 in the cluster harness..

some have the white wire in the harness from factory..it may be coiled and tied up behind the dash. On the end of the tach filter is a connection that goes to the tach terminal on the distributor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.