El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here so hello everyone! I am going to look at a 1986 Choo Choo SS soon and the owner tells me that one of the brake lines is blown, but I'm not sure which one.

The only brake lines I can find are on elcaminostore (Part #:
55-194630-1) but they appear to be for a power disc setup.

Does anyone know if GM switched from drum to disc brakes at some point? If not is there really any difference between drum and disc brake lines?

Thanks for any help you can offer

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Hi Devin, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. I believe they had discs in the front and shoes in the back. Best of luck in the purchase of the classic. Have fun with it and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Correct, my '87 has drums in the rear and disc in front. Won't matter if it's a Choo Choo or not.

I just did an ABS delete on my son's '96 Z28 and learned that the rear brake lines on that car are larger diameter than the fronts, but not sure on the Gbody Caminos.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ive got an 86 Choo Choo. Just get replacement brake lines of the same size and make them up. I think there are kits on ebay. Bend them by hand.

Depending on the length, Autozone and such, have 3' lengths of it. And compression fittings for joining them. Doubtful your entire brake line is trash. Just fix what is leaking. You can bend them by hand. Dont need bender.

No difference between drum brake lines and disc. Just match up what you already have. Difference is between front and rear lines. Just the size.

Yes, disc front, drum rear. I just finished rear disc conversion on mine. Pass on that, not worth it. It stops just fine with rear drums. Unless you are going to make it a track car.

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
X2 on Kimchoc suggestion. There is nothing special about the lines .Just get some lines from your local suppliers and install. There is a difference in the flare so you'll either have to buy a double flare tool or just make up your lines and have a shop do the flaring. :hail2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts