El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Conquista that has some of the plastic chrome pealing off the lower bars. Not sure if the grille is aluminum or plastic, but it front parts of the grid are chrome and the inner bars are a dull silver. Not sure if I should paint the ENTIRE grille black or try to get the original one redone. Was the SS a black grille & if so, i probably would not be too far away from original if I painted over the entire grille. Suggestions please on redoing or painting. Thanks for any suggestions/remedies. Nick

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You could paint it black or you could buy a new one fairly cheap.I bought a new grill & 2 new headlight bezels for $100 on E-bay shipping included.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Oh I forgot the grill is plastic & is very expensive to get replated ,much cheaper to buy new one,but black out is a cheap alternative.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I would paint it trim black, not too glossy, kind of a satin finish

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, "TRIM BLACK" must be a type of finish opposed to the terminolgy like flat black, matt or glossy, right. Not sure what's req'd to get this done, but suppose I have to do a simple primer of some kind and then buy the "TRIM BLACK" at an automotive store. Like that idea and then it still will look like the original SS/ Thanks to all for the hint/tip. Nick

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Any good auto parts store will have Trim Black...check the labels. Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts