El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going. I recently bought an el Camino and thanks to everyone on here I’ve made great accomplishments. I am doing carburetor with electric fuel pump and advance distributor(someone called it that?) disregarding the computer all together. I was wondering if someone might have a good recommendation for a manual for wiring and all details/information on the vehicle. I’ve seen people say chilton manuals are unhelpful. I’m looking for the most informative one.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you already made the decision to go non-computer and have a computer controlled QJet, you may want to go with the non-computer QJet and distributor. All you need for wiring to go non-computer is the current hot lead for the HEI batt terminal and the electric chock for the carb. It would be recommended to keep all the old parts and just groom the wiring not used neatly bounded up vs. cutting up the wiring. You may be able to find a donor non-computer QJet and distributer in the salvage yard, Ebay and/or on Facebook. If you have to go with an aftermarket intake manifold since you have a 2 barrel intake, that does opens up more options vs. using spacers on a stock intake which have some downsides. Let us know how it goes.

Pretty good distributor for the money

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
In our town the public library has factory manuals for cars, not just Chilton. Wiring is helpful, color coded drawings to match factory wire harness.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you already made the decision to go non-computer and have a computer controlled QJet, you may want to go with the non-computer QJet and distributor. All you need for wiring to go non-computer is the current hot lead for the HEI batt terminal and the electric chock for the carb. It would be recommended to keep all the old parts and just groom the wiring not used neatly bounded up vs. cutting up the wiring. You may be able to find a donor non-computer QJet and distributer in the salvage yard, Ebay and/or on Facebook. If you have to go with an aftermarket intake manifold since you have a 2 barrel intake, that does opens up more options vs. using spacers on a stock intake which have some downsides. Let us know how it goes.

Pretty good distributor for the money
I have this distributor need to buy a carburetor but what do you mean exactly by double barrel intake and my intake manifold is after market

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In our town the public library has factory manuals for cars, not just Chilton. Wiring is helpful, color coded drawings to match factory wire harness.
I thought of the library but id like to just buy one messing with oil and dirt I don’t want to dirty a library book

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have this distributor need to buy a carburetor but what do you mean exactly by double barrel intake and my intake manifold is after market
In the late 70s and early 80s they had a carb they called the Dual Jet which was the front part of a 4 barrel QJet (2 barrel vs. 4 barrel). Was not sure if you had the Dual Jet or the QJet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The tape in the picture over where the carb mounts makes it hard to tell, but it looks like a square bore intake that an use a Holley or Edelbrock. QJets typically mount on a spread bore which with a special adapter also use a square bore carb.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,487 Posts
The tape in the picture over where the carb mounts makes it hard to tell, but it looks like a square bore intake that an use a Holley or Edelbrock. QJets typically mount on a spread bore which with a special adapter also use a square bore carb.

I'd agree with you on that

Product Font Paint Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
985 Posts
Roblez, for our classic cars, the best source of information I've found and rely upon is GM Service Repair Manuals. There is a specific manual for electrical issues.These manuals contain wiring diagrams as well as diagnostic procedures for chasing down problems.

I recently removed all the smog and ECM system on my 87 El Camino. The wiring is kind of straight forward if you don't go hog wild cutting and getting rid of parts, such as sensors, and the respective connectors. Just tag and mark pieces/parts as you remove them because you will need to use some of them, especially 12v ignition source, connections between coil and distributor, etc. If your 86 still has a smog pump, you can remove most of the plumbing connected to the pump. More than likely, the most difficult parts to remove are the stainless steel tubes that go into the exhaust headers. An exhaust header swap/install will eliminate this issue.

Depending on what type of carburetor you elect, spread or square bore, there are many intake manifolds that will fit any small block chevy motor. If you want to stick with spread bore like the Q-jet, these cast iron and aluminum intakes are readily available and also very affordable. You will just need to do research and find them. With regard to your ignition, these distributors are also readily available and range from mid-60's points type to HEI's. Converting a points type distributor is a snap to do with a conversion kit.

Good luck and go for it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts