El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the start of a rebuild. I bought a 1986 Elky without an engine or trans. I am putting a 383 in her. I want to clean up the wiring in the engine bay. Did the car have any type of computer before? What all wires can I remove?

·
Registered
929 Posts
First off, welcome from another 86' SS owner :beer: Yes, there was a type of computer system that controlled the computer controlled carb and distributor, and the lockup function of the transmission. The computer is in the passengers side kick panel. I would get a wiring diagram to see what all the wires do, although you will probably end up ripping them all out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome and the info. This is my first projects of this type. I have always wanted an El Camino and ran across this one. I hope I can do it. :???:

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Agree with the removal of the computer harness. Access the rf kick panel, remove the ECM, and follow the harness thru the firewall. Shouldn't be difficult with an empty engine bay

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you dont have to deal with emission testing you dont need the computer to make it run,all of the wires needed to make it run come from the driverside below the wiper motor. the computer and heater/ac wires and vacuum come from the pass side. removeing the inner fenders makes it easy to get to the wireing if it has been cut

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
Welcome from Florida !! :florida: It will be easier to remove the wiring with the inner fenders removed !!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
maliburacing.com has lots of wiring diag's...

·
Registered
5 Posts
along with the
haynes book you might check out the Chevy Electrical Diagnosis Service Manual Supplement. Between the 2 books I was able to eliminate my PCM in my '82.

·
Registered
132 Posts
if you dont have to deal with emission testing you dont need the computer to make it run,all of the wires needed to make it run come from the driverside below the wiper motor. the computer and heater/ac wires and vacuum come from the pass side. removeing the inner fenders makes it easy to get to the wireing if it has been cut

DON'T CUT anything on the Driver's side, these wires are for useful things like headlights, wipers, horn, instrument cluster etc. Once you get that little panel off (where the passenger's right foot would be) it should become clear where the computer's wiring is going. I cut every single one of those and pulled the entire harness out the front. There are a couple wires that run from side to side and at least one of those is hot b/c the ECM needs power.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
The short an sweet version - at least loosen the rear part of the inner fender on the passenger side. Remove the 7mm screw holding the harness guide. Remove the ecm. there are (4 I think) wires coming from across the dash to the ecm (a couple of hot feeds, VSS and a ground) You will not need them. Separate these (cut loose) from the plugs going to the ecm and feed the ecm connecters back out through the firewall. Obviously I have left out every little detail like terminating the wires you cut loose properly and sealing the hole in the firewall but this should get you through it without a hitch since it seems you have some knowledge already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. I am going to start looking and pulling wires in the morning. I also am trying to decide on the engine. I was thinking about a 383, but now I see the 406 might be a ggod choice. How much horsepower can I go with and still run my A/C? How much horsepower is to much for this car and still be a street car?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Question about ECM removal. It seems easy enough to remove the entire ECM pigtail but is there nothing else on it that I have to worry about? I do not have any smog pumps etc. No computer controlled carb. But My transmission has a plug to it 200-4r I am assuming that is computer controlled. Also there are some plugs that connect the computer harness to the one coming across from the drivers side. I have been studying the diagrams but I just don't quite understand what I'm looking at as far as what is and isn't part of the computer system. How did the Original posters wiring project turn out if he's still around?

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
603 Posts
The cross cab wiring probably includes the check engine light feed,ignition switch wire and the harness to the diagnostic port under the dash.The cruise control wiring might be bundled in there also.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
The VSS wire also goes across. If the Elky has cruise you will need to pick that signal up at the little green box by the ash tray.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Tempted to do that Keyser. The more and more I study my wiring system the uglier it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts