El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 TX import
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted recently on the "New Member" board to introduce myself - I'm awaiting ownership of a 1987 Elkie, and cannot bloody wait. They're super rare in the UK and parts/accessories are thin on the ground.

I'm likely to keep it stock for a while, but the upper dash is quite badly cracked. I've seen threads on dash caps and covers, but they're non-existent in the UK and shipping is criminally expensive! A short term fix would be a dash mat - and I kinda like how ugly/retro they are too!

My question is, would the one listed below fit an 87? It only specifies 78-80, but I don't know how different the dashboard would be?

I'll add a (poor quality) interior pic of the car from the dealer site too:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,314 Posts
the 78-80 have different dashes
you will need this one

·
Registered
87 TX import
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 78-80 have different dashes
you will need this one
Brilliant, thank you! I was searching 87 specific and nothing was showing.

·
Registered
87 TX import
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Biggest diference in the dash pads are the a/c vents. 78-80 have 2 middle and 82 up have 1.
Tom
View attachment 138256
Thanks. I saw that but wasn't sure if it was just a trick of perspective.

The 82-88 one seems to just be a top cover. I've definitely seen them extending over the fascia too which added to my confusion.

·
Registered
778 Posts
RT84, to help ease your pain, I just received a call from OPGI regarding my 2-year back order for a Claret-colored dash replacement which will cost over $700 plus shipping and handling to Hawaii.

·
Registered
87 TX import
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes! I've seen those on the catalogs alongside alternatives for less than $200. I sure hope it's worth the premium, and the wait!

·
Registered
778 Posts
RT84, the way I figure it, the dash is the most visible and upfront item that I see when driving my 87 El Camino. Also, a cracked and discolored dash in full view through the huge windshield just distracts from any restored classic car. I'm slowly working on the rust issues that are an inherent part of owning a 34 year old vehicle. So, hopefully, with time, patience, and finances, I'll have a fully resto-modified car to enjoy and hand-off to the grandkids.

·
Registered
87 TX import
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RT84, the way I figure it, the dash is the most visible and upfront item that I see when driving my 87 El Camino. Also, a cracked and discolored dash in full view through the huge windshield just distracts from any restored classic car. I'm slowly working on the rust issues that are an inherent part of owning a 34 year old vehicle. So, hopefully, with time, patience, and finances, I'll have a fully resto-modified car to enjoy and hand-off to the grandkids.
I understand completely, and I agree.
I was surprised at the price of that cover compared to others. I assume it's far superior in quality and fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts