El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, perhaps you can assist me with the following question?

I want to change the stock am/fm cassette with an aftermarket single DIN CD player. That said, the standard faceplate for the center controls in the 87 seems a bit large for a standard " Kit ".

Looking at all the kits available ( looked at Crutchfield too ), all the kits look like they won't cover the large size standard square for the factory radio. Leaves me to wonder what some of you guys have done or used. I don't want to cut or ruin the factory faceplate, and have thought about using a pre-85 face plate ( with knob holes that can be cut ).

But again, I'm looking at a single DIN Cd player that's a lot narrower in height and wondering what some of you did to overcome this issue?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys, perhaps you can assist me with the following question?

I want to change the stock am/fm cassette with an aftermarket single DIN CD player. That said, the standard faceplate for the center controls in the 87 seems a bit large for a standard " Kit ".

Looking at all the kits available ( looked at Crutchfield too ), all the kits look like they won't cover the large size standard square for the factory radio. Leaves me to wonder what some of you guys have done or used. I don't want to cut or ruin the factory faceplate, and have thought about using a pre-85 face plate ( with knob holes that can be cut ).

But again, I'm looking at a single DIN Cd player that's a lot narrower in height and wondering what some of you did to overcome this issue?
I want to keep the original look so what I am doing is taking out the ash tray that mounts under the center of the dash and then I am getting a kit from a boat shop to mount a stereo down there. The kits for boats are usually nice and hold the stereo very well and can mount almost anywhere. It's up to you but this way you don't have to cut or modify your dash and it still looks nice. Also most new decks come with a remote so you don't have to worry too much about not being able to reach it. Good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I replaced the stock head unit with a single DIN motorized/pop out Clarion unit. Used this 1.5 to 1 DIN adapter from Metra 99-4505:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-4505-Multi-Kit-82-Up-Black/dp/B0007WRQUS[/ame]

I believe this one will work too (Metra 99-3300):
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-3300-95-04-Isuzu-Hombre/dp/B00029X1M8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334679002&sr=1-1[/ame]

I've since seen a couple of adapters where the radio sits at the top of opening and there's a small .5 DIN sized opening for putting CDs in or what not…

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not exactly sure what a DIN stereo looks like, but for my car ('84 El Camino) I used a CD player from a 1997 Monte Carlo (I think, if I remember correctly) and I used a dash bezel from a Monte Carlo also. It fit in the space perfectly and looks factory.

The bezel doesn't have circle cutouts for the knobs; just a large rectangular cutout for the face of the stereo. I'd post photos, but my car is in the shop.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Go stock

Do what I did. Put in a later model Deltronics circa 2000. Sounds great and looks factory.

See my album.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, what peaked my interest was that both Markzig & Pbouker used a factory style unit with great results. A while back I had a chance to buy a factory CD player that was a 1987 unit from a GMC Cyclone, these were the only CD players available in 1987 for any GM vehicle, except Caddy's. The fit would have been perfect and correct however, the seller wanted $325.00 for the unit.

My interest is now getting a later model unit for a perfect look, and also because the it would not peak the interest fo potential thieves who look for aftermarket units.

That said, are any of you other guys using later year units that have a good fit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts