El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently acquired a 87 Camino in near survivor condition, 56K miles and a 7 year old "Terminator" paint job. I have been fixing a few minor maintenance items as the complete drive train and under-hood is as built 36 years ago. I am trying to figure out the left side wiper blade assembly. Right side assembly has a rectangular base on the blade arm and the transmission arm. The left side has a "fan" shaped base on the blade arm and the transmission is rectangular in shape. The lock on the blade arm does not lock underneath the transmission arm. According to GM website the wiper arms are correct, I am thinking maybe the transmission arm is not correct. Am I missing something simple or do I have a miss matched set of parts.

·
Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Hi ok4dean, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 87 El Camino. Where abouts are you located? I don't know the answer to your question, but others here will. Have fun with your 87 El Camino and the community.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Mine got sloppy on the left side and I had to replace it. I bought an NOS arm-it was difficult to install; I had to force it on against its spring and clamp the tab underneath. I don’t remember exactly what worked. I doubt your transmission is wrong though.
Patrick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife and I recently acquired a 87 Camino in near survivor condition, 56K miles and a 7 year old "Terminator" paint job. I have been fixing a few minor maintenance items as the complete drive train and under-hood is as built 36 years ago. I am trying to figure out the left side wiper blade assembly. Right side assembly has a rectangular base on the blade arm and the transmission arm. The left side has a "fan" shaped base on the blade arm and the transmission is rectangular in shape. The lock on the blade arm does not lock underneath the transmission arm. According to GM website the wiper arms are correct, I am thinking maybe the transmission arm is not correct. Am I missing something simple or do I have a miss matched set of parts.
Thanks for the info from the pic my transmission arms are correct the left wiper drive is a rectangle.
I'm in the Green Bay Wisconsin area and will add a pic of the 87 in the near future.
I think I am going to try and use a set screw and force the wiper arm to the side with the lock.
I'll add a post if it works..........

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ll have to double check mine but if I’m correct what you should have to do is lift up the arm till it stops (pull the blade away from the windshield) and while holding it, slide the tab out. While holding the tab let the blade go (back to rest towards the windshield) and it should hit the tab you’re pulling out causing both the tab to stay out on its own and holding the wiper off the windshield. Once in that position the arm should lift right off however chances are the are in corroded to the transmission so it’s frozen and a bear to get off. In that case PB Blaster will be you’re best friend along with some coaxing to get it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments. After a hour of playing around I figured out the GM system. The Left wiper is held in a fixed position thus both the wiper arm and transmission are a matching rectangular shape. The left and most likely problematic side uses a "fan" shaped wiper arm and a triangular transmission. This would allow you to put the Left wiper in the proper position and then adjust the position of the right wiper within the range of the "fan" shape. Nice concept, but poor execution. The system relies on a shallow grooved track in the wiper arm and transmission to maintain the position. Over time the Aluminum grooves wear out ant the position can not be maintained. So until I purchase a new right hand wiper arm I did a little quick fix. I drilled, taped a 10-32 fine tread in the read of the wiper arm and use a short machine screw to fits the radial position. It's still a little tricky to get the blade position right, but once it is set and the screw tight is seams to
be maintaining, at least for the time being. GM should have used an adjustable arm length, it would be a lot more consistent and definitely more durable.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Trigger Bumper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts