El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings my Elco Brothers. So my favorite college professor (calculus) used to say to me "Marvin, let's take a moment to celebrate your ignorance............and now let's dismantle it". So today I'm asking for my ignorance to be dismantled. First I will say search is my friend but friends aren't always friendly. My uncle has acquired a 1996 Chevy Tahoe and gave me first dibs on the motor. As I am out of town I am unable to give you specific #s but I feel my questions can be answered. My uncle tells me it's 350 Vortec V8 (5.7). My questions are... what will I need parts and accessories wise to make this swap successful? What can/should i keep from my current motor? It will be carbureted. I currently have a 305 in my 86. So shoot away. My goal is to start pricing out all of my goodies as soon as possible. This way I.......well we can pull and place.*

Thanks in advance for your assistance :You_Rock: *

Marvin

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You will need a new intake manifold specific to the Vortec heads. I believe you'll need a new flex plate, but others can be more specific. You will need to keep the valve covers on the new engine; they bolt down differently from those on the engines up to 1986.

If you can get the whole serpentine belt system, that would be good, too.

Is your uncle junking the Tahoe, or what? There are more parts you'll need if you want to keep the computer control active (which I suspect is not the case, since you're talking about a carburetor).

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Msd offers a ignition kit that will solve your firing issues
Intake from edelbrock shorty style headders
The oil pan may not clear the crossmember
others will chime in here

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my short list includes...
1. Vortec intake manifold
2. New flex plate
3. MSD ignition kit
4. New Dizzy?
So I take it my Exhaust manifold won't fit?
Cross member may need to get pushed back or modified

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will need a new intake manifold specific to the Vortec heads. I believe you'll need a new flex plate, but others can be more specific. You will need to keep the valve covers on the new engine; they bolt down differently from those on the engines up to 1986.

If you can get the whole serpentine belt system, that would be good, too.

Is your uncle junking the Tahoe, or what? There are more parts you'll need if you want to keep the computer control active (which I suspect is not the case, since you're talking about a carburetor).
He is junking the Tahoe. I would try to grab the serp belt system. What would I gain from it? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The exhaust manifolds should fit just fine, I believe. This is why so many hot rods have Chevy engines. Essentially, from 1955 to about 1997, everything can interchange. Try that with a Ford.

The distributor is the same, too. Do you have a computer-controlled distributor? If so, you might want to take it in and get a new or rebuilt vacuum-advance distributor. If it's already vacuum advance, it should work just fine.

I think.

Uh...guys...what year did Chevy go over to individual coil packs?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The exhaust manifolds should fit just fine, I believe. This is why so many hot rods have Chevy engines. Essentially, from 1955 to about 1997, everything can interchange. Try that with a Ford.

The distributor is the same, too. Do you have a computer-controlled distributor? If so, you might want to take it in and get a new or rebuilt vacuum-advance distributor. If it's already vacuum advance, it should work just fine.

I think.

Uh...guys...what year did Chevy go over to individual coil packs?
It is a computer controlled dizzy but with smog equipment missing.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I believe that with the exception of the intake and flexplate, everything from your current engine should swap over....If you keep the serpentine belt, (and I would) you need to keep the Tahoe water pump due to it being a reverse rotation pump...so my list would be:
1.Vortec intake for Quadrajet carb
2.flexplate for one piece rear seal engint to whatever transmission you currently have
3.Intake gaskets
Dan

Reactions: m5d1k

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that with the exception of the intake and flexplate, everything from your current engine should swap over....If you keep the serpentine belt, (and I would) you need to keep the Tahoe water pump due to it being a reverse rotation pump...so my list would be:
1.Vortec intake for Quadrajet carb
2.flexplate for one piece rear seal engint to whatever transmission you currently have
3.Intake gaskets
Dan
Thanks Dan that's exactly what I needed to know :You_Rock:

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
vortec heads or not all of them have the 7th exhaust bolt hole,,so the weard 305 manifolds wont fit..
also the water temp sending unit has smaller threads..IIRC
if you need a egr?? youll have to plumb into the exhaust,, and correct intake to work..

while its out
replace the freeze plugs with brass, and gaskets/seals as needed,,waterpump...:texas:
x2 on the qjet or spreadbore intake..

IIRC 96 was a change over year for the trans/flex plate but :dontknow:.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you will need to keep the vortec dist as it is a roller cam motor and the elco isnt .the vortec heads dont have the 7th bolt hole for the elco manifolds.if you can use the entire engine trans combo with the efi .they are 275 hp and scream while getting goood fuel milage. an easy swap and the wireing isnt hard to make work

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vortec heads or not all of them have the 7th exhaust bolt hole,,so the weard 305 manifolds wont fit..
also the water temp sending unit has smaller threads..IIRC
if you need a egr?? youll have to plumb into the exhaust,, and correct intake to work..

http://www.chevymania.com/tech/images/vortec.jpg

while its out
replace the freeze plugs with brass, and gaskets/seals as needed,,waterpump...:texas:
x2 on the qjet or spreadbore intake..

IIRC 96 was a change over year for the trans/flex plate but :dontknow:.
I know 96 was a special year. I do know the intake would need to be replaced. So I will add brass freeze plugs. And I need to get with mountain man because I want to get a rebuilt quad carb. The egr will done away with.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you will need to keep the vortec dist as it is a roller cam motor and the elco isnt .the vortec heads dont have the 7th bolt hole for the elco manifolds.if you can use the entire engine trans combo with the efi .they are 275 hp and scream while getting goood fuel milage. an easy swap and the wireing isnt hard to make work

The tranny was pulled for another project. I really didn't consider the serp set up until now and trying the research the benefits. I really want a reliable daily driver that can get me to college and clinicals. Thanks for all the quick and valuable responses.

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
Lots of good advice here. Just to recap a couple of points, water pump rotation is critical. The stock Serp System water pump rotates in a different direction than your 305 WP. If you don't use the serp setup off the Tahoe, then you will have to swap the water pump for one that spins the other direction ( get one for your Elky- it will fit). Same issue if you are using the Mechanical Fan. If you use and Elky pump and accessories, then the old fan will work. If you go with the serp setup, you will need a reverse rotation fan ( may have one on the Tahoe-don't know if it is electric or mechanical fan), or an electric fan.
Vortec Intake bolts are different and specific. They are designed to prevent over-torquing. Spark plugs are also different for the Vortec engines. Accessories may require different length belts. Mine changed by several inches ( Serp Belt) .

Your old distributor will work, but you will need to change the gear on the end of the shaft to a Melonized gear- available from Chevy Parts. If you are not going to be running the ECM, then disregard, and buy a vacuum dist with a Roller Cam gear. You will also need an Electric Fuel Pump and regulator, as that engine will not have a FP lobe.
I am not running EGR on mine, and it runs fine. I did not have the EGR hooked up on my last engine either. However, I have noticed higher running temps ( about 15 degrees) when under a strain, and I am wondering to myself if the EGR should be hooked back up, as part of is't function is to lower combustion temps. Just something to think about, although if you are removing the ECM, then this again is a mute point ( nothing to control it).

Reactions: m5d1k

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of good advice here. Just to recap a couple of points, water pump rotation is critical. The stock Serp System water pump rotates in a different direction than your 305 WP. If you don't use the serp setup off the Tahoe, then you will have to swap the water pump for one that spins the other direction ( get one for your Elky- it will fit). Same issue if you are using the Mechanical Fan. If you use and Elky pump and accessories, then the old fan will work. If you go with the serp setup, you will need a reverse rotation fan ( may have one on the Tahoe-don't know if it is electric or mechanical fan), or an electric fan.
Vortec Intake bolts are different and specific. They are designed to prevent over-torquing. Spark plugs are also different for the Vortec engines. Accessories may require different length belts. Mine changed by several inches ( Serp Belt) .

Your old distributor will work, but you will need to change the gear on the end of the shaft to a Melonized gear- available from Chevy Parts. If you are not going to be running the ECM, then disregard, and buy a vacuum dist with a Roller Cam gear. You will also need an Electric Fuel Pump and regulator, as that engine will not have a FP lobe.
I am not running EGR on mine, and it runs fine. I did not have the EGR hooked up on my last engine either. However, I have noticed higher running temps ( about 15 degrees) when under a strain, and I am wondering to myself if the EGR should be hooked back up, as part of is't function is to lower combustion temps. Just something to think about, although if you are removing the ECM, then this again is a mute point ( nothing to control it).
Thanks Darbysan :You_Rock:. I may pm you soon. As the list adds
1. Vortec Intake (any suggestions here?) I will be keeping my Quad Jet Carb
2. Brass Freeze Plugs
3. Flexplate (correct version)
4. vacuum dist with a Roller Cam gear or melanized gear for current dizzy
5. Electric Fuel Pump and regulator (any recommendations?)
6. water pump and of course gaskets/seals

And if I go the serp route.....and Im researching it. Get a Reverse rotation Water Pump and Fan.......If I don't purchase electric....

Seems pretty str8 forward. Barring no setbacks I will be home this weekend and my hands will be greasy until she running again. Thanks everyone for providing valuable info. And if anything is missing or something you recommend please let it rip. I will be snapping pics and updating as I go.

Thanks again

Marvin

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
Marvin, you missed the new spark plugs on your list. Old ones won't fit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Marvin, you missed the new spark plugs on your list. Old ones won't fit.
I will purchase spark plugs for 96 Tahoe Darbysan? Or it's a different Plug than that? I figured you were mentioning not to buy spark plugs for the 305 anymore. Brand part number would be great if you have it readily available.

Also any rec's brand of fuel pump and regulator? As well as Vortec style intake? No EGR

Marvin

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
I used Autolite AR103 plugs for mine, but I have headers. Needed a shorter plug to prevent interference, and these are way cheaper than Accell's header plugs. You may be fine with stock replacements for the 96 Tahoe- justw need to watch for interference with the exhaust.

For a regulator, you need something that will turn down the pressure to about 7 psi or less. No recommendations, since I have FI and need the higher pressure pump. Others should chime in here!

·
Registered
107 Posts
For the vortec compatible intake, I used the GMPP intake for use with carbs. I did mount mine to a older 350 4 bolt main high nickel block and when I checked how it fitted to the motor there was a slight space near the distributor hole between the outer lip of the intake and the outside sealing edge of the block for the lifter valley. I had to get the rear edge of the intake welded a bit and then I level out the surface on the bottom side so that it seled properly to the lifter valley and no dirt was getting into the lifter valley over time. You may not have this problem on you block since it is a newer style and more what the intake was actually made for, but I just wanted to give you ahead warning that you might run into this issue with the GMPP intake. I can't remember if the Edelbrock intakes for the SBC vortec with a carb setup have any issues.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts